Pidgin crashes when taking a call from a Lync 2013 user

Help
konrad
2013-08-01
2013-08-07
  • konrad

konrad - 2013-08-01

Hi,

using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, pidgin 1:2.10.3-0ubuntu1.3 with self compiled pidgin-sipe 1.16.1.
    Whenever I get a call from a Lync 2013 User, the Window for accepting or rejecting the call
    appears, but pidgin crashed when I accept the call. For Lync 2010 Users no problem.

What can I do?

• konrad

konrad - 2013-08-05

Here is the debug info: pidgin -d > ~/pidgin-debug_testuser.log 2>&1

Thanks a lot

Last edit: konrad 2013-08-05
  • Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-08-05

The last messages in the log are not from SIPE, but from libpurple code. Please provide also a GDB backtrace from the crash (see FAQ).

• konrad

konrad - 2013-08-06

gdb pidgin

Last edit: konrad 2013-08-06
  • Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-08-06

Thanks.

None of the functions in the backtrace is from SIPE code, just from gstreamer and farstream. It finally crashes in farstream. This could be caused by incorrect parameters sent from SIPE or it is a bug in gstreamer/farstream. I'll have to defer this decision to Jakub, who knows the code for this feature.

In order to help him, please install the debug symbols for glib, gstreamer & farstream and recreate the backtrace until it no longer contains unknown function entries.

• Jakub Adam

Jakub Adam - 2013-08-06

Hi,

in the log I don't see anything suspicious with which we could be crashing Farstream. Maybe it's a problem of some new codec Lync 2013 added, but with the current data I can't investigate anything further and I don't have access to Lync 2013 to try myself either.

Please follow Stefan's advice and get a proper backtrace.

• pbouchand

pbouchand - 2013-08-07

Just my "2cents" but I had also strange sigsegv related to farstream that disappeared by deleting a GStreamer registry file .gstreamer-0.10/registry.x86_64.bin in my $HOME, as Jakub told me in this thread : https://sourceforge.net/p/sipe/discussion/688534/thread/56b49e5c/

• konrad

konrad - 2013-08-07

Deleted the .gstreamer-0.10 (rm -rf .gstreamer-0.10), but no change:
    Pidgin crashes when answering the call!
    Installed the requested debug symbols:
    sudo aptitude install libfarstream-0.1-dbg libgstreamer0.10-0-dbg libglib2.0-0-dbg
    Will create trace report when I have time.

One other thing: A user on the same Lync Server Infrastructure using Pidgin under Linux chat and voice works fine! Not sure if thi helps/gives any clue/hint.

thanks a lot

• konrad

konrad - 2013-08-07

This is the log on the Server site:
    The call was terminated after establishment due to a media timeout. The unknown endpoint is most likely a legacy client, legacy component or third party application. This failure can be caused by a failure of one of the endpoints or a loss of network connectivity. Correlation of such failures with individual networks, endpoints or A/V Edge Servers can indicate potential deployment issues.

• Stefan Becker

Stefan Becker - 2013-08-07

This server error message is not surprising when Pidgin crashes during call establishment. So it doesn't help.

But I think this is one more indication that the Lync 2013 client uses a new codec/codec parameters that cause farstream to crash.