Menu

"Token has been removed" err...

Help
2012-01-23
2013-02-26
  • Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi all.
    I've a problem using SignServer with a Safenet LunaSA.
    After some time the server runs unused (one hour or so) the server stop working and I get a 'Token has been removed" error.

Follows the stacktrace:

java.security.ProviderException: Token has been removed
        at sun.security.pkcs11.Session.id(Session.java:73)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.SessionManager.ensureValid(SessionManager.java:134)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.SessionManager.getOpSession(SessionManager.java:117)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.Token.getOpSession(Token.java:247)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.P11Signature.initialize(P11Signature.java:283)
        at sun.security.pkcs11.P11Signature.engineInitSign(P11Signature.java:375)
        at java.security.Signature$Delegate.engineInitSign(Signature.java:1095)
        at java.security.Signature.initSign(Signature.java:480)
        at org.ejbca.core.model.ca.catoken.BaseCAToken.testKey(BaseCAToken.java:100)
        at org.ejbca.core.model.ca.catoken.BaseCAToken.getCATokenStatus(BaseCAToken.java:425)
        at org.signserver.server.cryptotokens.CryptoTokenBase.getCryptoTokenStatus(CryptoTokenBase.java:105)
        at org.signserver.server.signers.BaseSigner.getStatus(BaseSigner.java:48)
        at org.signserver.ejb.WorkerSessionBean.process(WorkerSessionBean.java:192)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:112)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.InvocationContextImpl.proceed(InvocationContextImpl.java:166)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.EJB3InterceptorsInterceptor.invoke(EJB3InterceptorsInterceptor.java:63)
        at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.entity.TransactionScopedEntityManagerInterceptor.invoke(TransactionScopedEntityManagerInterceptor.java:54)
        at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.AllowedOperationsInterceptor.invoke(AllowedOperationsInterceptor.java:47)
        at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(TxPolicy.java:79)
        at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.invoke(TxInterceptor.java:191)
        at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor.invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:95)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessInstanceInterceptor.invoke(StatelessInstanceInterceptor.java:62)
        at org.jboss.aspects.security.AuthenticationInterceptor.invoke(AuthenticationInterceptor.java:77)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.security.Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.invoke(Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.java:110)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.ENCPropagationInterceptor.invoke(ENCPropagationInterceptor.java:46)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.asynchronous.AsynchronousInterceptor.invoke(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:106)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.localInvoke(StatelessContainer.java:240)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.localInvoke(StatelessContainer.java:210)
        at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessLocalProxy.invoke(StatelessLocalProxy.java:84)
        at $Proxy104.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.signserver.web.GenericProcessServlet.processRequest(GenericProcessServlet.java:350)
        at org.signserver.web.GenericProcessServlet.doPost(GenericProcessServlet.java:254)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
        at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:182)
        at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:262)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.process(AjpProcessor.java:437)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProtocol$AjpConnectionHandler.process(AjpProtocol.java:366)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:446)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Thanks a lot,
    Massimiliano

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Here are the server data:

SignServer V. 3.2.1
    JVM : Sun Java 1.6.0.30

Regards,
    Massimiliano

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-01-23

If this happens all the time this could be due to a network issue.
    There may be a parameter fot setting time-to-live or refresh.

Does activate also fail?

Anders
    tech support

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Yes, activate also fail. As soon as I have that error, I have to restart the whole application.

About the time-to-live/refresh: do you mean some LunaSA driver parameter? Or a SignServer setting?

I already activated the TCPKeepAlive in the LunaSA driver configuration, but with no luck.

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-01-23

Is this really the complete stack-trace?  I.e. there's nothing available from lower layers?
    I'm not a LunaSA expert, but surely there must be some log-files also for LunaSA that could give a hint.

Anders
    tech support

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Yes, that's the complete Stacktrace: Signserver uses the SunPKCS#11 provider to connect to the Luna.

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Tomas Gustavsson

Yes most certainly the network connect was broken and then a restart of JBoss is needed.

Normally you can "ping" the HSM by doing a HeealthCheck regularly to keep the connection open.
    I never had to do that with Luna SA though, so it's probably some switch or firewall that kills your connection after some time.

/Tomas

PrimeKey Solutions offers commercial EJBCA and SignServer support subscriptions and training courses. Please see www.primekey.se or contact info@primekey.se for more information.
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Support/
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Training/

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

There's no firewall between signserver and the HSM….
    I'm trying to schedule a 'signserver.cmd testkey' command every 5 minutes to see what happens….

I 'm even enabling cklog for the LunaSA appliance…
    I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Tomas Gustavsson

hi Massimiliano,

I guess your problem was solved? Was there anything special to it?

Cheers,
    Tomas

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Sorry Tomas,
    I completely forgot to write here how I solved the issue….

I wrote the safenet support complaining that my Java application was getting that error, and they suggested me to add the following rows in the crystoki.ini file

TCPKeepAlive=1
    ClientKeepAlive=20

That solved the issue…. Probably there was a firewall that was dropping the connection and the "keep alive" setting solved the issue.

Thanks,
    Massimiliano

• Tomas Gustavsson

Thanks, very helpful info!

• Tomas Gustavsson

Our Chrystoki.conf looks like:
    Chrystoki2 = {
       LibUNIX64=/usr/lib/libCryptoki2_64.so;
    }

Luna = {
      DefaultTimeOut=500000;
      PEDTimeout1=100000;
      PEDTimeout2=100000;
    }

CardReader = {
      RemoteCommand=1;
    }

LunaSA Client = {
       ClientPrivKeyFile = /…./cert/client/…Key.pem;
       ClientCertFile =  /…./cert/client/….pem;
       ServerPort00 = 1792;
       ServerName00 = IP_Address;
      NetClient=1;
      ServerCAFile=…/cert/server/CAFile.pem;
      SSLConfigFile=/usr/lunasa/bin/openssl.cnf;
      ReceiveTimeout=20000;
    }

Is this the file? In that case where should the lines be added?

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi Tomas.

I've not been clear, you are right.

On windows the file il a bit different, however the settings should be inside the LunaSA Client section.

Follows my config file.

[Chrystoki2]
    LibNT=C:\Program Files\LunaSA\cryptoki.dll
    [Luna]
    DefaultTimeOut=500000
    PEDTimeout1=100000
    PEDTimeout2=100000
    [CardReader]
    RemoteCommand=1
    [LunaSA Client]
    NetClient=1
    ServerCAFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\LunaSA\cert\server\CAFile.pem
    ClientCertFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\LunaSA\cert\client\xxxx.pem
    ClientPrivKeyFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\LunaSA\cert\client\xxxxKey.pem
    SSLConfigFile=C:\Program Files (x86)\LunaSA\openssl.cnf
    ReceiveTimeout=20000
    ServerName00=xxx.yyy.zzz.www
    ServerPort00=1792
    TCPKeepAlive=1
    ClientKeepAlive=20
    ServerName01=xxx.yyy.zzz.www
    ServerPort01=1792

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-07

Hi Massimiliano,

Did it occurred to you suddenly or you had problems before? What was the time slice for what the service worked properly?
    Do you have other slots/partitions configured on this Luna SA? Did you have any problem with other services connected to these other slots?

I am asking this, because we have just obtained the same beautiful _Token has been removed error_ message problem:D and we want to figure out what the problem exactly is?

Thank you!
    Csabi

• Massimiliano Ziccardi

Hi Csabi.

Follows the requested details.

Did it occurred to you suddenly or you had problems before?

We bought a couple of HSM dedicated to the Timestamping Service. The problem started immediately (after some minute).

What was the time slice for what the service worked properly?

I don't remember, sorry (it was 6 months ago).

Do you have other slots/partitions configured on this Luna SA?

Both HSM has only one slot/partition. Both SignServer machine can access both HSMs.

Did you have any problem with other services connected to these other slots?

As I told you these HSMs are dedicated to the Timestamping.

In other applications, with other LunaSA with many slots, we got the same problem.
    With an older version (firmware/hardware) of the LunaSA, the setting I proposed here didn't work.

The HSM version for wich the setting worked is :

lunash:>hsm sh
       Appliance Details:
       ==================
       Software Version:          4.1.0-9
       Firmware:                        4.6.1
       Hardware Model:           Luna K5

The version that didn't work is:

lunash:>hsm sh 
       Appliance Details:
       ==================
       Software Version:          4.3.0-5