Changed files not updating in .7z archive

Help
mingle
2016-08-17
2024-01-26
  • mingle

mingle - 2016-08-17

Hi guys,

Rercently swicthed for being a long-time WinRAR user to 7Zip. Liking it so far.

However I seem to have run into a bit of a bug some time when I update a file (either a Word doc or Excel spreadsheet) within a moderately large (15MB) .7z archive and save the file, it fails to update inside the archive, ie: I don't get the usual message ("File xxx was modified. Do you want to update it in the archive?"

Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I'm still trying to nail down repeatbility of the error.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is there a possible reason for this problem?

Cheers,

Mike.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-08-17

Probably you should close Excel / Word. And 7-Zip will know that it needs to update the file.

• Arnim Rohwedder

Arnim Rohwedder - 2016-09-23

Same problem! This happened in encrypted archives. Of course, I finish before Office.The archive is not updated and the unencrypted file remains in the Temp directory.

• mingle

mingle - 2016-09-25

Yep, it still happens - but not all the time, which is frustrating. Could it possibly be related to the length of time the document/file is opened, before it is saved (and thus triggering the update in the 7-Zip archive?). Too long and it doesn't update?

• mingle

mingle - 2017-09-06

Has there been any progress on investgating this?

Same issue on multiple different machines, running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2017-09-06

Use latest version - 7-Zip 17.01 beta.
    Try to find exact conditions where it doesn't work.
    For example, it must work, if you close Word / Excel.

• Chippy Mgee

Chippy Mgee - 2023-06-19

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm experiencing the same issue as this old post.

I'm running 22.01 (x64). Windows 11.

Sometimes when I save a document and close it, the prompt window will appear immediately and correctly, asking me if I'd like to update the archive.

Other times, it will take a very long time for the window to appear, or it may not appear at all.

Happening with Open Office files. Size of the file I had trouble with today was 120 699 (packed size 118 704).

• Vasko Avukatov

Vasko Avukatov - 2023-09-26

Same here. I'm running v.23.01 (x64) on win 10. And I found that sometimes it worked and other times it did not, and I used the identical file (word .doc and .docx), but even when I got the prompt to change the 7z file - the delay was way too long. I experienced the long delay with .xlsx files, as well. What I noticed was that the window prompt never appeared when the MS word was open with other unrelated .doc files (the slow but successful prompts for changing of the 7z file happened in situations when the edited .docx was the only or the last opened MS Word). The 7z/doc files are very small ~20kB.

• Don

Don - 2023-11-16

I have the same problem. Using an Excel file and 7-zip takes a long time to update the modified file in the archive.