silent uninstall kills explorer (msi)

Help
Anonymous
2011-11-22
2017-09-27
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-11-22

Hi everybody,

I intend to deploy 7zip 9.20 to my client computers through an unattended installation process. I use the msi installers, depending on the operating system (32 or 64bit). Installing works great, unfortunately my requirement is an unattended / silent deinstallation as well.

I use

msiexec /X {23170F69-40C1-2702-0920-000001000000} REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS /qb![code] to deinstall. This makes a window pop up, which requests me to either close Windows Explorer or "Do not close apllication" and maybe require a reboot. Since such popups are not acceptable for my users, I used the /qn switch instead.
    Using the /qn switch makes the deinstallation silent as it should be, but the process explorer.exe is killed. This is even worse for me (and the helpdesk). I tried the 9.25 alpha which shows the same behaviour, only that explorer.exe was restartet, which is better but not perfect for me.
    Is there an option for the msi deinstallation I can use to choose "Do not close application" on the silent uninstall (silence level /qb or /qn doesn't matter)?
    Thanks for any ideas on this!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-12-21

Sorry for the messed up BBCode on the initial post…

No ideas anybody? I really would like my users to enjoy 7zip, but for that I require an uninstall process that is silent and does not kill the Explorer process.

Thanks for any ideas!

• kat

kat - 2014-06-21

Help - my silent uninstall thru sccm is not silent. The user sees a popup at the bottom of the screen stating that an uninstall is taking place, then another stating that software has been removed. How can I stop this, please? The uninstall command is:

msiexec /x {23170F69-40C1-2702-0920-000001000000} /qn

Thanks,
    Kat

• Éric Sylvain Périard

Was this ever fixed? I still have an older version installed through an SCCM PXE task sequence but installing this on a live OS kills windows explorer, they should really implement a reboot option instead of forcing the kill command on explorer.... so annoying.