2014-12-07
2015-01-06
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Agos FS

Agos FS - 2014-12-21

Igor, thanks for another update. :)

I updated from v9.32 to this version.
    However, when I did that, I lost all my context-menus. :(

I don't know if that has something to do with the new option to add Icons to file types
    (I already had my own icons in place).

But I didn't change anything before or after the installation.
    I backed up the previous install folder and then installed the new version over it.

However, I made an experience:
    if I just go back to the previous files, all goes back to normal (My 7-Zip context menu options are back again). Without any formal install or uninstall. Just by changing the names of folders everything goes back to normal.
    This means that the problem should lye somewhere in the new version code and not in the registry... But of course, I'm not sure since I didn't code it.

I'd like to know if anyone experienced the same problem.
    Thanks.

• szfong

szfong - 2014-12-21

I updated from v9.32 to this version.
      However, when I did that, I lost all my context-menus. :(

I'd like to know if anyone experienced the same problem.
      Thanks.

7-Zip is not particularly smart when you update from one version to the next, or when you downgrade. Other software has installation procedures that does various check and imports previous setting, etc... You should/must first uninstall the previous version before installing the new version or else you may notice some strange behaviors. You might also want to re-start the computer before and after the uninstall procedure, 7-Zip has a tendency of creating partial updates where some files are updated and other in-use files may not get updated.

Last edit: szfong 2014-12-21
      • Agos FS

Agos FS - 2015-01-06

Szfong, thank you for your comment.

Actually I never installed it, I just copied the files to a previously known folder, for which all settings are pointing. I do all the File Types Association myself, with a script that generates it. This way the app is neutral to the OS, and I can use it as a portable version as if it was installed, without actually being formally installed (as long as I run the registry script once on the host OS).

The best news is that this problem is already fixed in the latest version. :)
        I just did the update and everything was as expected.
        So again, my many thanks to Igor's excellent work!

I do think this policy of trying to correct bugs first, is the best.

• Mario Fetka

Mario Fetka - 2014-12-22

There is one small problem with the msi it has on a successful install the exit code 1

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)