Menu

7-Zip should come with a simple utility to extract files from a corrupt archive

Stuart
2020-11-01
2020-11-30
  • Stuart

Stuart - 2020-11-01

It's surprising that 7-Zip does not offer any easy way to repair a corrupt archive file, considering that options for other formats do exist:
    • RAR: in WinRAR, click "Tools" then "Repair archive..."
    • PST: close Outlook, look for the "scanpst.exe" tool and use that
    • VHD or VHDX: mount the file like a drive, then simply run CHKDSK on the drive-letter it mounts under
    • ZIPX: use the WinZip "wzzip -yf" command-line option with the path to the corrupt file after

As per my mock-up screenshot, how-about creating a simple tool that asks the user for a .7z archive, to tick a box if they know the archive had a password (which, after clicking OK, would then bring up the usual "enter password" box for them to enter it) and give a folder to extract the files into?

👍
    • h11p5g

h11p5g - 2020-11-02

If you need to protect archives, can you use Multipar ( https://github.com/Yutaka-Sawada/MultiPar ) in Windows or par2 in Linux.

This software can repair the 7z archive, if a recovery record is available.

• Stuart

Stuart - 2020-11-02

You can protect archives already using the 256-bit AES encryption with a password.

I'm suggesting that given how-long 7-Zip has been in existance, surely a basic repair tool should come as part of the default install.

• necros

necros - 2020-11-29

where did you get 7zrepair.exe or is it concept view?)

Last edit: necros 2020-11-29
    • 1024mb

1024mb - 2020-11-30

As per my mock-up screenshot