Menu

Igor, please, set DPI-awareness

Alvaro
2011-04-02
2012-12-07
  • Alvaro

Alvaro - 2011-04-02

People with bad vision or some people with HTPCs connected to an HDTV, increase the DPI resolution of Windows to provide bigger text easier to read from a distance or for their visual problems (to 150% or more). Windows Vista and 7 do a good job in enlarging programs after that setting, but only when programs have been specially. I recently noticed in such a PC that 7-Zip and a few other free programs displayed badly enlarged, as if a "digital zoom" is applied (pixels stretched and blurred). At the same time I noticed that the video player MPC-HC suffered the same, but solved it when they switched to Visual Studio 2010.

The reason is that programs need to specify "High-DPI awareness" to Windows in order to be nicely scaled or "DPI Virtualization" will occur. And it turns out that Visual Studio 2010 makes this by default to all MFC applications (which I know is not the case for 7-Zip).

Anyway it can be set explicitly as is explained here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd464660%28VS.85%29.aspx

At the very least, I think calling "SetProcessDPIAware();" should do it. But more is explained here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633543.aspx

Best regards,

• Alvaro

Alvaro - 2011-04-02

Here is a screenshot so you see what I mean. (Please look at it at full resolution)

http://i.imgur.com/9fij5.png

It shows 7zip at the top, old MPC-HC bottom-left, new MPC-HC bottom-right. All from a Windows 7 mini-PC attached to a large HDTV, at > 150% DPI setting. That text size is nice to read at a distance in the living room.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-04-03

I don't use Vista/7 now.
    Maybe I'll check it later.

• Robert S

Robert S - 2011-04-12

you can try my build from
    http://atombomb.no-ip.org/blog/?p=238
    it should be dpi aware, the only change needed was in manifest files for 7zg.exe and 7zfm.exe so it should work without problems on older versions of windows

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-04-14

roberts8:
    What exact change in manifest do you mean?

• Robert S

Robert S - 2011-04-14

I changed 7zFM.exe.manifest from

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
        <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" name="7-Zip.7-Zip.7zFM" type="win32"/>
        <description>
            7-Zip File manager.
        </description>
        <dependency> 
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>
    </assembly>

to

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" name="7-Zip.7-Zip.7zFM" type="win32">
        </assemblyIdentity>
        <description>
            7-Zip File manager.
        </description>
        <dependency>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*">
                </assemblyIdentity>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>
        <asmv3:application>
            <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
                <dpiAware>
                    true
                </dpiAware>
            </asmv3:windowsSettings>
        </asmv3:application
    </assembly>

and 7zG.exe.manifest from

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
        <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" name="7-Zip.7-Zip.7zG" type="win32"/>
        <description>
            7-Zip GUI.
        </description>
        <dependency> 
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>
    </assembly>

to

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" name="7-Zip.7-Zip.7zG" type="win32">
        </assemblyIdentity>
        <description>
            7-Zip GUI.
        </description>
        <dependency>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*">
                </assemblyIdentity>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </dependency>
        <asmv3:application>
            <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
                <dpiAware>
                    true
                </dpiAware>
            </asmv3:windowsSettings>
        </asmv3:application>
    </assembly>

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-04-15

roberts8:
    I've changed manifest in 7-zip 9.21.02.
    I tried to set 150% in Win7. But I don't see any difference. Maybe something wrong with my system. It doesn't look good in any case.

Can somebody show some screenshot that shows the difference between DPI-aware and non-DPI-aware application?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2011-04-15

what about my new 9.21.02?

• Robert S

Robert S - 2011-04-15

• Alvaro

Alvaro - 2011-04-15

Thank you all, I think that should do it. I don't have easy access to a Win7 PC to try but I'll do it. The person I was refering to has the screen at 200% or near (I think) in a full HD 32" screen and even needs the magnifier tool to read.