Menu

7zip blocked by Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

Nigel H
2016-08-06
2016-10-01
  • Nigel H

Nigel H - 2016-08-06

7zip blocked by Windows 10 Anniversary Edition - is there a plan to fix this?

• Oleg

Oleg - 2016-08-07

Hello Nigel,
    Did you already asked about this issue company of these "innovations" - micro$oft ?
    Perpahs they have some teams for investigation.

• Nigel H

Nigel H - 2016-08-08

Hi Oleg

The only information from Microsoft was to contact the app developers.

It may be the fact that the drivers and the installation package are unsigned. Looking at packages that worked they all had signed installation packages and most had signed drivers.

• Nigel H

Nigel H - 2016-08-08

Hi Oleg

Not sure if last reply made it so here it is again

I have looked and all that Microsoft say is to contact the app developer.

Looking at what has worked and the fact that 7zip has not, is that the software is unsigned and any drivers etc are also unsigned,

I wonder if the two items below are relevant especially the first as that would impact existing apps if Microsoft has made this now compulsory
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt674655(v=vs.85).aspx

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

• Oleg

Oleg - 2016-08-08

​Hello Nigel,
    Thank you for details.

Perhaps here is 2 workaround ways:
    1). Please add your App sign and Recompile 7-Zip
    2). Let's try using Linux layer from win 10 and run 7zip for Linux, or 7-zip via Wine.

Perhaps now Igor is busy... But so many users just crying about necessary fixes and wait -> even don't want make some steps..

Best regards,

Oleg

• Nigel H

Nigel H - 2016-08-10

Hi Oleg

Thanks for your reply.

I dont have Linux installed on my PC and am not sure if it would still allow 7zip to work through the shell as it used to do prior to the Windows "Anniversary" update.

As to recompiling 7zip, again I would if I had the resources to hand and the instructions, but I would believe that this issue will be impacting all the Windows 10 users who use 7zip and therefore this is something that I think that the project should do. I would even re-upgrade to the Anniversary Edition to test (as I rolled back as 7zip was not working) and another unrelated issue.

Nigel

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-08-29

Would this be why on an application that I am running that uses the command line to create a zip file that I am I am now getting Windows cannot open the folder ...file is invalid?

• Oliver Jia

Oliver Jia - 2016-08-31

What are you guys talking about? I run Win10 version 1607 Anniversary Edition 64 bit on all my computers, and none of them has this problem. All install and work fine.

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-09-01

Since upgrading to 1607 all my 7zipped files are coming up as zip file invalid format when I try to open them with windows explorer, they open okay using 7zip.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-09-02

Open archive with 7-zip, select one file and press "Info" button, then copy data with Ctrl+C and insert here.

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-09-02

Properties

Name: Result Analyzer to Office Guide.pdf
    Folder: -
    Size: 1 741 695
    Packed Size: 1 630 267
    Modified: 2011-01-04 17:29:00
    Encrypted: +
    CRC: 8AA761E1
    Method: ZipCrypto Deflate
    Host OS: FAT
    Version: 20
    Volume Index: 0

Size: 1 741 695
    Packed Size: 1 630 267
    Folders: 0
    Files: 1
    CRC: 8AA761E1

Path: O:\HTMLtoOfficeOutput\2-WI93X3X3C8R6-4130-2077\a.zip
    Type: zip
    Errors: Unexpected end of data
    Physical Size: 1 630 332

OK

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-09-02

Why do you think that this zip was created with 7-Zip?
      If you are sure about it, what version of 7-Zip was used to create that archive?

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-09-02

I know that it was created by 7zip because it is part of a macro that uses 7zip.

I tried it with the latest version of 7zip 16.02 - both 32bit and 64bit - same problem
    I then tried reverting to an earlier version (32 bit 15.14) because I had the same macro running on another machine that had an earlier version of 7zip installed.

Both machines are running the same code and writing to the same location.

When the Windows Anniversay updated machine creates the the zip, files are missing from teh archive and I get an error when I try to open it from Windows, it will at least open if I use 7zip.

When the non-Windows Anniversary update machine creates the zip, files are all present and no error opening from any machine including the Anniversary updated machine.

The Windows Anniversary machine can create and read its own compressed folders.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-09-03

Create smallest example archive with problem, and attach archive here.
      Try also archive without encryption.

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-09-03

I have attached two zips.

Test.zip - This is encrypted and cannot be read by Windows.
    TestNoEncrytion.zip - Same process but without encrytion and I confirm that can be read by Windows.
    TestRunZip.Bat - The bactch file that was used to create the unencryted zip - only difference was that the encryted one included the -p"test" to the command line.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2016-09-03

1) add log file

7z a .... > info.txt

to ensure about 7-Zip version.

Try to simplify "bad" case and find "smallest" bad case:
      2) try another number of files (smaller). Check also for one file only.
      3) try another files (smaller).

• Martin Day

Martin Day - 2016-09-05

Okay I have to admit that I now don't know what is going on.

A week ago I was consistently getting corrupted 7zip files on the Anniversary updated window machine and non-corrupted files on the non-anniversary machine.

When I sent the original test files I was able to easily reproduce the problem.

However, when I went to try and provide a single file example I had no problem, and I am now unable to reproduce the problem on the Anniversary updated windows machine, but I am now experiencing similar problems on the non-anniversary updated machine.

I can't make head or tail as to where the problem is so it would be best to leave it with me to see if I can make any sense of it all. It might be related to the size of the zip, it might be the type of files, or it might be a non-7zip problem entirely and something to do with the disk - at the moment it appears to be too random to report it as a problem.

If other people are experiencing silimar problems feel free to provide Igor with what he needs, at the moment my systems have entered the Twilight zone and are making no sense whatever.

I will try and isolate the problem further and report back if I think it is still a 7zip problem.

• Nigel H

Nigel H - 2016-10-01

Version 16.03 works OK - @thanks Igor and Oleg