Menu

Any date for a new final version?

2014-08-15
2014-09-06
  • sebastien gandon

Dear Mr. Pavlov,

I am only using 7zip and I do not want to change for another program.

But last final version has been released on november 2010. Almost 4 years ago, and some minor but blocking bugs are still opened (e.g. #1388).

Can you provide us any maproad?

Regards

Sebastien

• VictorVG

VictorVG - 2014-08-25

I think I can answer you do not waste time taking away from Igor - as soon as it is ready, and will be. No one will lay unfinished work. Times there are problems to be solved must be to solve them and make sure no key errors, and then we can talk and be very careful about reaching the next entry in the list. Before that resemble advertising department known for its eternal incompleteness companies can no one will fall for any developer's reputation for more ticks in the report.

• foxpat

foxpat - 2014-08-26

@VictorVG
      At this point I think it's natural to find people asking for a final version. I do not think those guys want to make Igor waste his valuable time.

Also comparing 7-zip with some marketing driven company project makes no sense. No one asks Igor to deliver "unfinished" code (as you say) but I think this project would benefit from some classic project management techniques like defining and "anchoring" scope and schedule. If Igor keeps changing the scope this project will become a perpetual succession of Alphas and that is a project killer strategy even for an awesome project like 7-zip.

PS: please write shorter sentences you are really very hard to understand.

Last edit: foxpat 2014-08-26
  • VictorVG

VictorVG - 2014-09-04

Timing determines the course of development, will be ready - we learn.

• szfong

szfong - 2014-09-06

9.20/9/22 is pretty OK.... I think after next year, the alphas should be about finish.... 2016 & 2017 will be the betas & release candidates... So, 2018+ is about right... :)