SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Standalone 7-Zip

2005-02-11
2012-12-08
  • Doug Burkhalter

Doug Burkhalter - 2005-02-11

I was wondering how 7-Zip stores its information. Is it in the registry?

I ask because I was hoping to be able to use 7-Zip as a standalone, portable application. This way, I can keep it on my flash drive and have 7-Zip wherever I go.

If it's not currently supported, I can open a bug request...that'd be a good place to discuss possibly changing this behavior and how.

• Nobody/Anonymous

7-zip stores its settings in the registry in
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-ZIP

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've been using it that way for a while now and I've had no problems using it, albeit I only use the simplest functions, i.e. creating archives, opening archives, etc.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Every time you use 7zip on other persons computers you leave traces and unwanted entries in the registry. It can be avoided by deleting these entries with a batch or a .reg file. Just place these entries in the .reg file:
      ______
      REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-ZIP]

_______

DO NOT (!) forget the minus in front of the key and also DO NOT forget a blank line after the
      "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\7-ZIP" (just press Enter after that line)! Just copy the content above wihtout the lines.

• Stepho

Stepho - 2005-02-15

Or you can simply use the standalone command line version : 7za.exe  :-)

• Nobody/Anonymous

So, 7za doesn't save registry entries?

I don't suppose it supports drag & drop, huh?

The problem is, many of the computers I use are public machines at my school, and they don't allow access to the command prompt (access is totally cut off).

But, maybe I can create a frontend...