Well, no one has complained about the reworked locking in ser2net 3.4-rc1,
and there have been lots of downloads, so I guess it's time for a release.
No changes from 3.4-rc1.
I don't expect ser2net to be changing a lot from here on out. The only
thing I'd really like to do is convert the configuration file to JSON, but
I would have to maintain backwards compatibility and I'm not sure
if it's worth the effort at this point.... read more
The locking in ser2net left something to be desired in some places, and it really confused Coverity. I've been wanting to fix it from the point where I wrote it, so I finally spent the time to clean it up. This also fixes some issues found by Coverity and LLVM.
This is obviously a release candidate, to let people try it out, in case I really screwed something up.
Testing is finished, the new version has UDP support and some bug fixes.
The version I uploaded yesterday had a significant bug in kickolduser, and a few other minor things. Those are corrected, and a new version is uploaded. File is ser2net-3.2-udp2.tar.gz. I feel better about this version, though it's still preliminary.
I have uploaded ser2net-3.2-udp1.tar.gz to sourceforge. This adds UDP support and some features around UDP support. This is fairly preliminary still. I think I have a good way to handle UDP (which was significantly harder than I thought) but it may still be subject to change based on feedback. And there may be significant bugs. This was fairly complex.
Now that the multi-connection support is done and tested, it's time for a release.
This also contains some bug fixes and cleanups. But to everyone that has asked for multi-connection support, here it is :-).
Someone found a rather serious bug that could cause a segv in some circumstances, so I'm updating. There are other less serious fixes in this, but this is all bug fixes.
Another release will be coming soon, someone paid for the much-requested multi connection support and I have a pre-release out for this. It was rather hard to add, as you might imagine, as it touches a lot of stuff in the code. If you are adventurous, you can download ser2net-3.0-mc2.tar.gz or get the multicon-work-4 branch from git. This has all the fixes in 3.1, too. It would be great if others could test this before release. But some details may change depending on how things work out, so this is not a final release.... read more
Nothing has been reported for a while, so I guess it's time to release a full version. Changes since 3.0-rc4:
Well, I know I should be getting this more stable, but I went ahead and added threading support to ser2net. (My wife was out of town for the weekend and I thought it would be fun.) It turned out to be fairly complicated, but I think I have everything covered. There may still be race conditions or lockups, so be warned on this release.
I also added epoll support, which was a lot simpler than threading With epoll and threads, you should be able to make ser2net quite scalable. Also, reconfigs run in a separate thread, so a reconfig won't get in the way of normal serial I/O.
Well, there were some issues, I fixed some bugs and added
some missing files. 3.0-rc3 should be much better, it is
Plus it adds a chardelay-max parameter that gives a max
time to delay before sending. This makes transfer at slow
speed more smooth.
I've been working on new features for ser2net for a while,
it's time to release something for people to play with. New
Lots of things have changed, and I'm past due for releasing this. Several people fixed bugs and contributed features, thanks to everyone that helped.
A minor update, a new feature (configurable RFC2217 signatures) and a couple of small bug fixes.
I've uploaded a new release candidate. I added a requested feature, the ability to send a string to the device at open and/or close of the tcp port. I did a major rework of the code to avoid a lot of code duplication, so it's a pretty big change.
This is a new release that adds the feature of storing all the data sent and/or received on a port. The data is sent to file(s) of the user's choosing and a flexible specification for the filename allows date, time, port, etc. to be used as part of the filename.
This new feature was paid for by an organization and then released to open source. Thanks to them for making open source work.
This release has no bug fixes, but does have some documentation corrections and cleanups.