2008-08-05
2013-06-03
  • digitalbenji

digitalbenji - 2008-08-05

Hi,

• digitalbenji

Doh, posted too soon.
      Ok, I just downloaded base 1.4.1 (4th August release).  It is hanging on setup4 (not getting any values passed from 3 it seems).  Anyway, I manually edit'd the base_conf.php with all the correct values, and I'm just getting blank (but properly formed) html pages rendered no matter what.  I tried upgrading to a newer version of adodb, but I'm stumped at this point.

Anyone else having issues with this release?

• Juergen Leising

Juergen Leising - 2008-08-05

Hello digitalbenji,

do you have cookies enabled?

Both in php.ini and in your browser?

Which versions of php and adodb do you use?

Bye, bye

Juergen

• digitalbenji

This is a fully patched RHEL 4 system.  PHP v4.3.9.  Cookies are enabled in the browser, and I assume they are in my php.ini, since version 1.4.0 (Katherine) worked, and still works, almost fine on this server.  I say almost because of a previous issue I posted about that I still haven't figured out.

Thanks Juergen, I hope we can figure this out,

• Juergen Leising

Ok. You are aware that with php-4.x you MUST NOT use adodb-5.x?

Only a late adodb-4.x. (adodb-4.98, for example)

bye, bye

Juergen

• Juergen Leising

One more thing:

If you use SELinux, which is possible, and
      which I would recommend, then you must adjust
      the file context of the base directory and the adodb directory:

chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t base*

If you preferred httpd_user_content_t, then you would have to set the directory base-1.4.1
      to httpd_user_content_rw_t. Only the directory itself, not also the files inside of this directory.

Bye, bye

Juergen

• scastle

scastle - 2008-08-05

I am having the same result.  I have adodb 4.53 and PHP 4.4.5 running on Solaris 9.  I just installed 1.4.1, modified base_conf.php appropriately, and now I get blank result screens.  I must admit, they show up quickly.  Now if only I can get them to show results.

Also, when untar'd, the directory was named "base-php4", not "base-1.4.1".  This threw me for a bit, so I checked the contents, and everything seemed to be correct, but I did have a WTF moment.  And no, I did not untar as root.

I'm going back to 1.4.0 until this is straightened out.

• Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson - 2008-08-05

Hi-

The base-php4 directory name was my fault.  When I packaged the files I forgot to rename the directory.

Do you have any errors in your logs when you get the blank page?  If not could you increase the log level within PHP and try again?

thanks
        Kevin

• scastle

scastle - 2008-08-05

Here's the output from access_log and error_log:

access_log:
          192.168.3.250 - - [05/Aug/2008:14:27:27 -0600] "GET /base/base_stat_alerts.php?caller=last_alerts&sort_order=last_d HTTP/1.1" 200

error_log:
          [client 192.168.3.250] PHP Warning:  main(Mail/mime.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/sslweb/base/includes/base_action.inc.php on line 30, referer: http://netsec0.co.boulder.co.us/base/base_main.php
          [client 192.168.3.250] PHP Warning:  main(): Failed opening 'Mail/mime.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/local/sslweb/base/includes/base_action.inc.php on line 30, referer: http://netsec0.co.boulder.co.us/base/base_main.php
          [client 192.168.3.250] PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected '{' in /usr/local/sslweb/base/includes/base_signature.inc.php on
          line 463, referer: http://netsec0.co.boulder.co.us/base/base_main.php

Looks like maybe I'm missing a PHP module, Mail/mime.php, but there's another problem.  That "{" that is disliked is part of a try/catch construct, the only one that I can see.  Maybe not supported in my version of PHP, or the syntax is different?

• Juergen Leising

Hello scastle,

very well possible.

So comment out the "try{ } catch { }" construct (lines 462 - 475), except for a single line:

$buf1 = BuildSigLookup($sig_name, $style);

This line ist still necessary.

The exception construct was part of my debugging measures and is not really required. I am going to do the same in cvs.

Bye, bye

Juergen

• scastle

scastle - 2008-08-05

Yes indeed, commenting all lines except that one solved this problem with PHP 4.  But you should still note that the Mail_Mime component is needed ("pear install Mail_Mime").

Now if I could get some processor grease to speed up this old UltraSPARC box...

Thanks.

Shane Castle

• scastle

scastle - 2008-08-05

I took care of the Mail/mime.php issue (used "pear install Mail_Mime") - that's a new dependency you need to note in the INSTALL or README.  However, I'm still getting the parsing error in includes/base_signature.inc.php.  Must I upgrade my PHP as well?

• scastle

scastle - 2008-08-05

OK, yes: the throw/try/catch set of keywords are PHP 5 only.  Sigh.  Will this mean I have to upgrade my adodb too?  Maybe not...

• Joe User

Joe User - 2008-11-17

My install (Fedora 9 / Base 1.4.1) is working well -- Except Email Doesn't Work....

If select alerts to email, the page "search query info" and "summary info" section show up but it is BLANK underneath - and no email arrives.  This happens for all email options on full, summary, and csv email.

There is no error shown.  I have all email parameters setup correctly (have tried both localhost and and external smtp hosts).  SMTP auth is not required for my internal network.  I even made a test php email script to ensure the sendmail and php are configured correctly and it sent fine.

$action_email_smtp_host = 'localhost';  (have also tried smtp.mydomain.com)
          $action_email_smtp_auth = 0;
          $action_email_smtp_user = '';
          $action_email_smtp_pw = '';
          $action_email_from = 'root@mydomain.com';
          $action_email_subject = 'IDS Alert';
          $action_email_msg = '';
          $action_email_mode = 0;

Have checked httpd,maillog,message logs and there is nothing to go off of - have also turned on base's debug option and can't find anythign relevant.

Is this related to what you discussed? Any help would be greatly appreciated!