Menu

boost libraries required?

Help
Kio
2014-02-13
2019-04-30
  • Kio

Kio - 2014-02-13

is boost required for running sdcc (not for compiling the sdcc suite itself)?
    i tried to figure out which boost libraries are linked and could not find any dependency in sdcc or sdcpp.

• Maarten Brock

Maarten Brock - 2014-02-16

Boost libraries are not required. Boost provides many useful headers which are used by some sdcc ports when sdcc itself is compiled.

• René Dekker

René Dekker - 2015-01-11

When running ./configure on the sdcc build, it complains that it cannot find a boost file "boost library not found (boost/graph/adjacency_list.hpp)". But that file is present in the default boost location (/opt/local/include).

How to tell sdcc where boost is?

• Ben Shi

Ben Shi - 2015-01-12

./configure ... CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include

(I forgot it is CPPFLAGS or CXXFLAGS, run configure -h to confirm)

• Charles Lohr

Charles Lohr - 2019-04-30

Does the not-needed still hold true? I'm trying to cross compile for browser use of SDCC using emscripten. Boost and emscripten aren't exactly best friends. I've tried configuring with just about everything off and I can't get configure to pass.

• Philipp Klaus Krause

Currently, boost is required.

It is necessary for:
      gbz80 backend
      stm8 backend
      pdk13 backend
      pdk14 backend
      pdk15 backend
      and there is no feasible way around that. But one can just disable these ports.

It is also used for:
      z80 backend
      z180 backend
      ez80_z80 backend
      tlcs90 backend
      r2k backend
      r3ka backend
      hc08 backend
      s08 backend
      lospre optimization
      naddr optimization
      for these, the use of boost could be made optional with reasonable effort (but at substantially degraded code quality - you can see the effect by using the options --max-allocs-per-node 1 --oldralloc --nolospre to see what would happen). If there is sufficient user demand we could implement support for compiling without boost for those.

Philipp