Custom icons not working

  • Jason Murray

    Jason Murray - 2013-01-20

    Hey. It's me again.
    After using the version you gave me earlier, the png background worked just fine.
    Now I'm having problems getting icons to work.

    I specified the icons directory as my_icons, and put some in there.
    Here's an example:

    I named this one boot_linux.png, os_altlinux.png, and os_arch.png, and I also tried naming it vmlinuz-arch.png and putting it in the arch EFI directory. The icon remained unchanged. Same goes for a Windows 8 icon and some shutdown/restart/info icons. They are all the correct size.

  • Roderick W. Smith

    I tried it and had no problems. Assuming the loader displays the standard Arch icon, its filename should be os_arch.png. The most likely cause of this problem is an error in your icons_dir token in refind.conf. This could be a typo in the directory name, a misunderstanding of the path (the directory must be a subdirectory of your main rEFInd directory, but you must specify the path relative to that directory), a typo in the icons_dir token itself, a failure to uncomment the icons_dir line, or a duplicate icons_dir line (the last one in the file takes precedence). Please check all these things. If it still doesn't work, please cut-and-paste the icons_dir line in your next message and show me the contents of the rEFInd directory (as in ls -R /boot/efi/EFI/refind, or wherever rEFInd is installed on your system).

  • Jason Murray

    Jason Murray - 2013-01-20

    The path seemed to be correct, and I kept checking just to make sure. After copying the files to the regular icons folder, they loaded. So I'm not sure what the problem is.

    Here's my icons_dir line:

    icons_dir myicons

    And here are the contents of my rEFInd directory:
    That setup has working OS icons, but the smaller icons for reset, power, and info show yellow and black stripes. If I remove my icons from the icons directory, The defaults are used instead of the ones in myicons.

  • Roderick W. Smith

    Sorry for leaving you hanging on this; I didn't get the usual e-mail notification of your post....

    Anyhow, I've looked into this and I think I've got a fix. Unfortunately, I fixed it after making the 0.6.6 release a few hours ago. The fixed code is in the git repository, though, and if you prefer a binary, here's one:

    Please tell me if that fixes it for you.


Log in to post a comment.