Menu

Repository only for a secluded workgroup?

2009-05-13
2013-05-28
  • Peter Roosen

Peter Roosen - 2009-05-13

Hello @all,

I'd like to set up a refbase server only for a workgroup. Only its members should be able to view the entries (and perform additional functions).

As the documentation on the area of user management is still completely lacking I just don't have an idea how to proceed.

Any pointers will gladly be appreciated!

Peter

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Peter,

> Only its members should be able to view the entries

Obviously, the easiest approach would be to

- either install refbase on the intranet (i.e. with no public access from the outside)
      - or to install it inside a password-protected directory

Would either of these work in your case?

Matthias

• Peter Roosen

Peter Roosen - 2009-05-13

Hello Matthias,

intranet is not possible because the workgroup is distributed over the world.

An installation in a password protected directory is, of course, possible, but that would necessitate two logins for the active users, which is kind of frustrating.

I had envisioned that there is a group management feature in refbase, and that by putting all users in a "registered" group and restricting even the view access to this group everything would be fine.

I already defined one group named "registered" but did not find a means of adding existing users to that group.

Regards,

Peter

• Matthias Steffens

Hi Peter,

> I had envisioned that there is a group management feature in refbase

refbase has two "group" features, the first lets you manage groups of citations, the latter allows the admin to group database users. I guess the latter is what you're referring to. Currently, this user groups feature does not allow to set access permission on the group level.

If you want to disallow any kind of anonymous access to the data in your (otherwise publicly available) refbase installation, you could do the following:

1. log into refbase as admin
      2. goto user_options.php?userID=0#permissions
      3. deselect *all* checkboxes

This would prevent users who aren't logged in from viewing any of the refbase data.

However, note that the refbase main page ('index.php') also fetches the list of most recently added citations anonymously, i.e. this feature won't be available anymore - even after login. So you'll probably want to customize the main page as well as the refbase header & footer files.

Matthias