Menu

Pi 4 8GB failed update

Bill C.
2021-01-16
2023-06-05
  • Bill C.

Bill C. - 2021-01-16

Hello,

I'm trying to load the latest version of Raspbx (10-10-2020) on a new Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB memory. The initial install goes fine but anytime I try and run the upgrade "raspbx-upgrade" it hangs and renders the OS unbootable after that. I can run other OS's on the Pi with no problem so I know the Pi itself is not the problem.
    Have also tried different SD cards with the same results. Here are the last few lines during the update before it hangs.

Setting up libbrotli1:armhf (1.0.7-2+deb10u1) ...
    Setting up firmware-atheros (1:20190114-1+rpt10) ...
    Setting up firmware-misc-nonfree (1:20190114-1+rpt10) ...
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Setting up systemd (241-7~deb10u5+rpi1) ...
    Setting up libapt-inst2.0:armhf (1.8.2.2) ...
    Setting up raspberrypi-sys-mods (20201026) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules ...
    Setting up raspberrypi-kernel (1.20210108-1) ...
    Removing 'diversion of /boot/kernel.img to /usr/share/rpikernelhack/kernel.img by rpikernelhack'
    Removing 'diversion of /boot/kernel.img to /usr/share/rpikernelhack/kernel.img by rpikernelhack'

Has anybody else ran into this problem or seen something similar?
    Right now I'm running this version on a Pi3 with no problems but would like to use the Pi4.
    Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    BC

• Ramalho

Ramalho - 2021-01-20

I have the same problem.

• Mark Nielsen

Mark Nielsen - 2021-01-24

I'm having the same issue, however it doesn't appear to be an update issue itself, it's a problem with calling sync. sync hangs even outside the updater.

• Linux_01

Linux_01 - 2021-02-03

What's the solution for the same

• Bill C.

Bill C. - 2021-02-03

Haven't found a solution however I did find a workaround but it requires an older Pi. I used a Pi3 but a 2 would probably work but I didn't test it.
      Basically you load the latest image of Raspbx (10-10-2020) on the Pi3, do the updates then pop out the SDcard and boot it up in the Pi4. everything seems to be working ok. I even did a few small updates without any issues. Of course this isn't really a fix and not sure if the next major update wouldn't break something.

• Diego Quintana

Diego Quintana - 2021-02-16

Hello,
    I did the same using my old pi3. But, is there any solution? everytime my pi crashes should I put it on my pi3?

Please tell me

• Nevada Tech

Nevada Tech - 2021-03-17

Any updates? I just started a project and I'm hitting this wall. Unfortunately, I have no Pi3.

Last edit: Nevada Tech 2021-03-17
  • Andy

Andy - 2021-04-30

I've the same Problem and i'm looking for solution

• Patrick

Patrick - 2021-05-09

Wish I would have read about this before purchasing a Pi4 8GB. Ran into this same issue. I guess I'll run this on a Pi3 until this gets fixed.

• Trebor T

Trebor T - 2021-05-09

Initial sequence I used was after login

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

reboot

raspbx-upgrade

most of the raspbx-upgrade is done in the second action.

then config the raspberry - expand file system - localisation -etc
    sudo raspi-config

Note ssh is not turned on by default - when you have put the image on the SD card add a file called ssh no file extension and nothing in the file - that enables ssh.

Serial does not work.

https://sourceforge.net/p/raspbx/discussion/tutorials/thread/481bdd7ec9/?limit=25#395e

• Thomas Erickson

Thomas Erickson - 2021-05-17

I have had the same problem on two different raspberry pi 4s 8GB mem with 32GB SD cards. After the initial install I have tried running raspbx-upgrade and the approach described by Trebor T and both hang at the same point. Using Trebort T's approach it hangs while running "sudo apt upgrade". I am currently running them without doing the upgrade, but would really like to be able to run the upgrade at some point. Where does this defect sit on the priority list of bugs?

• Diego Quintana

Diego Quintana - 2021-05-17

Hi,
      If you have raspberry pi 3, you can upgrade using that. Otherwise maybe
      some people in the community can make the upgrade and upload the img file.

All the best,
      Diego

• Nick

Nick - 2023-06-05

any updates on this? Pis of any kind are hard to come by these days... :(