Menu

Email Stopped Working After I Tried Installing Postfix

mokanman
2017-08-23
2017-08-23
  • mokanman

mokanman - 2017-08-23

I don't even remember why I tried Postfix, I'm sure I had a reason but sometimes when I break things I lose my orginal thoughts in the panic of recovery attempts. Anyway, I had email notifications working beautifully both for voicemail as well as fail2ban notifications with the default setup which I think used Exim4. Again, for some reason (which escapes me now) I tried installing Postfix which blew my working email notifications out of the water. I have done much internet searching (including this site) and I can't find a recovery method to get back what I had.

Here is what I've tried:
    apt-get autoremove postfix --purge
    sudo apt-get install exim4 # When I tried to run reconfigure it threw errors so I reinstalled
    dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config # I tried setting up everything per instructions supplied with RASPBX
    send_test_email # To my email account which does not work

Really I just want to get it back to default settings that were supplied with RASPBX so if any of you know how to do that I would appreciate a little "how to".

Thanks in advance.

• mokanman

mokanman - 2017-09-06

Just a final update to say that I resolved this by copying all the scripts I had created out to a temporary directory on my desktop machine along with the crontab entries and then restored a prior backup I had made replacing the entire RASPBX SD card. I then copied all my scripts back to the SD card and updated the crontab to what I had and everything is fine now. This restored the default email set up which is working again. The backup already had all my extensions, trunks, inbound and outbound routes, voicemail, and google voice settings in place. I would have rather known what I did wrong and been able to actually fix what I broke but as hectic as my life is right now I'm happy with this solution!

• Kirk Bocek

Kirk Bocek - 2017-09-19

I've been using Postfix for years and so installed it on my RasPBX host. The thing I ran into had to do with IPv6 support. IPv6 is enabled in the underlying Debian and Postfix will try to use it even when you don't have your overall network IPv6 enabled. As I recall it sends all traffic to the IPv6 loopback device. There is a setting in the Postfix config file to disable IPv6.