New to SQL

Help
David G
2011-12-09
2013-04-23
  • David G

David G - 2011-12-09

Hi

I am fairly new to SQL and have downloaded QueryExPlus on my new home netbook. I want to learn more about SQL at home as I sometimes use it in work.

Once downloaded, I have clicked on windows authentication, and there is nothing in the drop down list. I assume I am looking for localhost as the the databases i want to use, will be on my local machine.

How do I create a localhost logon?

I also have 2 codes to run that someone gave me that creates the databases I want to practise on.

Please can someone help me?

Many thanks.

• Christian S.

Christian S. - 2011-12-09

Windows Authentication does nothing with the drop down list, so it is normal that it is empty. I just tells the application to use your Windows user and password to login.

The list only contains the connections that you have used before (sort of like the "recently used" feature in MS Office or many other applicationgs). If you want to connect to a new server, you have to enter the the server address manually. I know that this is not the definition of user friendliness and it's something I look to remedy in a future version, but that may take some time as I'm kind of swamped up in other projects at the moment.

To connect to a localhost, there needs to be an SQL instance on that machine already. This should happen when you install MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle or whatever you use. Then, if you've configured it to use Windows authentication, you'd have to select Windows Authentication in QueryExPlus and type in the path to the SQL instance in the box with the drop down list. This should be something like "localhost\NameOfYourInstance" without the quotes.

To be honest, I only really use MSSQL, and the process might be slightly different for Oracle or other DB systems. If you use anything other than MSSQL, you'd have to either just try out if it works or wait for someone who knows more than I do (which doesn't take much :) ).