Menu

Fix for black screen in xawtv

2001-03-28
2001-04-12
  • Mike Kershaw

Mike Kershaw - 2001-03-28

It would appear (via my very scattered testing) that the black screen problem with the drivers (That is to say, xawtv runs but all it displays is a black window, and things like streamer do not capture still frames) is related to the USB level of the kernel.

I was unable to get my QC Express to work in 2.4.0 or 2.4.2 plain, however 2.2.19 and 2.4.2 AC9 and later (ac9 at work and ac25 at home) both seem to work with minimal problems using the CVS versions.

Hope this helps others who were experiencing problems with this, there seem to be a number of posts on the forums looking for solutions.

-m

• Georg Hopp

Georg Hopp - 2001-04-04

If that is the case, than the USB-Driver must be
      fixed in 2.4.3. I got the QC Driver from CVS
      and got it running. The problem is now, that i
      cant control brightnes, white ballance, hue or
      color. But i get pictures with every software
      i tried, which are gqcam xawtv and webcam the
      latest was bundled with xawtv, so i was not
      surprised that it worked after xawtv did.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2001-04-06

The problem with the control for brightness, hue, color, contrast, etc. is that the driver do not support these operations...

If you look at the file quickcam.c : quickcam_ioctl()...

Near VIDIOCGPIC and VIDIOCSPIC :

When you call VIDIOCGPIC, the driver send you default values, not the ones used by the camera.

When you call VIDIOCSPIC, the driver just copy the struct video_pict from the user memory to the kernel memory and just flush it!! ???

So to control these setting, we have to write code to set these parameters to the camera.

I'm trying to do that with my camera, it is a pb0100 sensor model, but I'm not sure now which register to modify, but I'm working on it ...

• Toni Willberg

Toni Willberg - 2001-04-12

This seems to be same problem I wrote about in other thread "Image istoo dark by default".