System: Win XP
Eclipse location: C:\ide\eclipse-for-pydev
Project Location: C:\automation\scripts
I have seen this problem with various combinations of Jython (2.1, 2.2rc1, 2.2rc2) and PyDev (1.3.5, 1.3.8).
1. Set a breakpoint in some "main" code in a module.
2. Launch the Jython debugger.
3. The console prints "pydev debugger"
4. A "red square" appears to show that the script is running.
5. The breakpoint is not hit.
6. The pause button is greyed-out.
7. The only available option is to terminate the run.
I believe that the problem is actually with Jython sys.settrace() not working the same as in CPython however I don't know if this is 100% correct and I would welcome a PyDev solution/workaround and at least a second opinion.
I created a PyDev patch that makes the debugger work (i.e. not hang). They way it is currently coded, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it should provide food for thought.