Menu

Installing via MacPorts

2010-08-07
2013-08-29
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Lars

Lars - 2011-11-17

Hi,

ok - so Python 2.5 seems to be a dead-end street on MacOS. What a pity!
    Do you think that there is a chance to get it running with Python 2.6?

I would be really happy, if someone could get PyCAM running on MacOS and then try to add the missing MacOS-specific bits to the existing PyInstaller spec file. Then we could finally get a binary package for all these MacOS users out there …

cheers,
    Lars

• Thomas Hollier

Thomas Hollier - 2012-07-23

My understanding is that this install can not and will not work using python25. Here are the steps I followed to get pycam working using python2.6. All the necessary packages exist in 26, except for py26-gtkglext, so you will need to create a local macports repository on your machine and create a py26-gtkglext port by editing the py25-gtkglext portfile.

-STEP 1: create a py26-gtkglext port on your machine

sudo mkdir /System/Library/MacPorts
    #insert "file:///System/Library/MacPorts" to /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
    #before the "rsync://…" line
    sudo mkdir /System/Library/MacPorts/python
    sudo mkdir /System/Library/MacPorts/python/py26-gtkglext
    #copy py25-gtkglext port file to /System/Library/MacPorts//python/py26-gtkglext/Portfile
    #and change all py25 references to py26 or download it from:
    cd /System/Library/MacPorts//python/py26-gtkglext/
    wget 'http://trac.macports.org/raw-attachment/ticket/33389/Portfile'
    # build index
    cd /System/Library/MacPorts
    sudo portindex
    # confirm it's finding the new port
    sudo port search py26-gtkglext

-STEP 2: install pycam dependencies

sudo port install python26 py26-gtk py26-gtkglext py26-opengl py26-psyco py26-ode

-STEP 3: link a couple of missing files

sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkgl /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkgl
    sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/gdkgl /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/gdkgl

-REFERENCES:
    http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33389

• Lars

Lars - 2012-07-25

Hi Thomas,

thanks for documenting these steps!
    I really don't known anything about the macports platform. Thus I would be very happy if you could replace the current MacOS installation instructions with your guide.
    wiki: Installation MacOS

Otherwise I would just add a link to wiki page referring your post here.

What do you think?

cheers,
    Lars

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-08-16

Hi,
    I've been working, on and off, at installing PyCAM on a Mac for the last couple of years, and so far the furthest I have got is by installing it under Linux in VirtualBox, which is not how I want to use it. I have had exactly the same problems as those posting in this post, although I now have PyCAM at least running, but without the 3D view.

When opening PyCAM, it still throws the error "Failed to initialize the interactive 3D model view. Please install 'python-gtkglext1' to enable it."

I'm no Python expert and have so far failed in trying to work out how to sort the dependencies. I have been following instructions posted at http://pepijndevos.nl/2012/04/23/fast-pycam-on-mac-using-homebrew.html, using Homebrew rather than MacPorts having previously failed with MacPorts.

Can anyone help with this error? Anything comments, even telling me I can't use Python 2.7, are welcome!

Thanks!
    Will

• yumasparagus

yumasparagus - 2012-12-31

This thread finally nailed the pycam installation for me on OSX 10.7.  Thomashl\\\'s instructions were especially useful.  It took me some additional tweaking, but here are my exact steps, so others can do it too.

OS X 10.7 pycam install notes
    12/31/12

***1. get macports

***2. use macports to install python 2.6

***3. install everything noted in this link, but change py25 to py26 in all cases
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pycam/index.php?title=Installation_MacOS
    and also, change py25-gtk to py26-pygtk
    Might have to do them 1 by 1…

***4. but you can\\\'t install py26-gtkglext
    So, here\\\'s what you do for that part: follow the 3-STEPS from Thomashl 2012-07-23 11:10:27 PDT

DON\\\'T FORGET TO DEACTIVATE py25-gtkglext and ACTIVATE py26-gtkglext

***5.  Fix a reference
    sudo vi /System/Library/MacPorts/python/py26-gtkglext/Portfile
    change: py26-gtk 
    to: py26-pygtk

***6. then do this final tweak to get the 3D models to appear:
    replace \\\"list_index = GL.glGenLists(1)\\\" to \\\"list_index = 0\\\" in
    \\\"C:\\\\Python25\\\\Lib\\\\site-packages\\\\pycam\\\\Geometry\\\\Model.py\\\"

***7. sometimes psyco doesn\\\'t load, but you need it if you are rendering a toolpath, to maximize processor power, so I just restart my machine and try again, and that seems to work.  Maybe others have a better suggestion to getting psyco to always fire off reliably…  Otherwise, pycam works for me now.

-A

• yumasparagus

sorry 'bout the extra slashes all over the place… didn't know this site was gonna do that, and I am not seeing an edit button…

• yumasparagus

also, I'm missing an obvious step early on… download and INSTALL pycam!!!  :-)

• Greg

Greg - 2013-02-11

I can't get psyco to load, does it matter that I'm on a rMBP?

• Joe Strout

Joe Strout - 2013-08-29
    Post awaiting moderation.
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)