Menu

Card Selection - Help Please!!!!!!

john roche
2002-07-08
2002-07-12
  • john roche

john roche - 2002-07-08

Hi all,
            I am, trying to do a research project,  and need a tv tuner card with a built in MPEG-2 encoder, with linux support. It's a distributed DVR system.

And some api interface that i can use to change channel and record to a file.

I need to buy the card soon, Would you recomment a hauppage pvr card, can i use it, with this driver?

The video blaster card looks good also but is unavailable.

Any help, please, i'm new to video.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-07-12

The WinTV-PVR does have an MPEG-2 encoder, which I've used in Windows through the included TV application. As for Linux support...

The driver on the download page for this project is the most functional WinTV-PVR driver I've seen thus far (the WinTV drivers included with the Linux kernel do work, but you will have no sound). However, this driver appears not to support the use of the MPEG-2 encoder (yet) - I imagine it'll be the first one to get there, but maybe not soon enough for your purposes.  Even if it did, I'm not sure if there are any applications written that could use it yet.

Regarding the coding level - since you can use this card as a normal WinTV card, you can also use the usual Linux TV apps with it.  Thus, whatever code something like xawtv uses to change the channel, you can probably also use.  For recording to a file, you might try the 'vcr' project (http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/).

I am just a user of this driver, not a developer, so there might more to the story in the source code than I see from the user end, too.