Menu

PTPd and KVM

Help
2011-01-28
2012-11-23
  • Antoine Roly

Antoine Roly - 2011-01-28

Hi all,

I have to set up a virtual network environment, with +/- 15 virtual hosts and synchronize some of those virtual machines with PTP in order to use SIPp IMS Bench.

I have downloaded and installed ptpd on each virtual machines but it does not seem to work.

I use Debian testing on the host, kvm -version output is
    QEMU PC emulator version 0.12.5 (qemu-kvm-0.12.5)

Each virtual machine runs CentOS 5.5.

Do you know if there is some issues between kvm and ptp ? Is it possible to synchronize virtual machines this way ?

Regards,

• Antoine Roly

I didn't know there is a second version of ptpd.

I am going to try with this new version and will come back if the problem is still there.

A.

• Jan Breuer

Jan Breuer - 2011-01-28

Version 1 and 2 are almost same for your purpose, it is only another version of the standard IEEE 1588.

You should disable clock adjustment on all instances of PTPd (-t option). This will cause, that you can't reach better performance then +/- 0.5s and it is bad. I thing, some NTP clients are better in this.

Is there any directive to kvm to use unmodified system clock? I think, it will be the best solution for you instead of using PTPd. This will cause that all your virtuals will be synchronize without any additional software.

PTPd is perfect to synchronize physical machines, not virtual ones.

• Antoine Roly

Yes you're right, I should synchronize the virtual machines using the host, it is probably easier and more efficient.

I will try this solution ASAP.

Thanks for the response.

A.