Menu

simultaneous mass client shutdown?

Help
2011-08-18
2012-11-23
  • Russ Thompson

Russ Thompson - 2011-08-18

We ran into a situation a few days ago where all of our ptpd clients on our LAN shutdown simultaneously terminated (to within a second).  They each showed the message "(ptpd notice) shutdown on terminate signal" at the end of the ptpd log, which seems to say that they caught a SIGTERM signal.

We're confused as to why they would shutdown simultaneously.  Is there a means in which the master ptpd could signal them to terminate?  Is it possible that a malformed packet could make them terminate?

We're running the ptpd-1.1.0.tar.gz package on 64bit centOS.

Any advice or suggestions for debugging this is most appreciated.  Thanks.

• Russ Thompson

Russ Thompson - 2011-08-19

Ok, here's an update…

The clients (slaves) were not terminating according to some message from the master ptpd, they were just not logging any csv data until they were terminated normally.  The "shutdown on terminate signal" does not have a timestamp.

It appears that the reason that the master ptpd stopped sending out multicast packets was because the networking on the computer was restarted, e.g. /etc/init.d/networking restart

• George Neville-Neil

I'd say this is not a bug then.  I guess a feature request for time stamping the terminate message would be in order.  Is that OK?  If so please create a request for that.

Best,
    George

• Russ Thompson

Russ Thompson - 2011-08-22

Done.  In fact, I took advantage of the invitation to post three feature requests, which would solve the problems we have encountered so far in our installation.

Thanks for the support!

Cheers, -Russ