Menu

ptp configuration in multi-NIC configuration

Help
2013-09-05
2013-09-18
  • Joe Dougherty

Joe Dougherty - 2013-09-05

I have a server machine that interfaces with two client boxes. I want to configure the server as ptp master with the client boxes as slaves. The interfaces to the client boxes are via separate NIC cards each configured as separate subnets. The server communicates in a point-to-point fashion with each of the clients. The two client boxes do not communicate with each other. The system allows for either one or optionally two client boxes to be present. I am not sure of the proper way to setup/configure the ptp daemon on the server when two clients are present. In the one client configuration, I am starting ptp as follows:
    ptpd –S –b eth1

What is the preferred/recommended way to configure ptp in the case of two clients in such a configuration? Can I specify two “-b “ switches on the command line? Can I run two ptp instances on the same server? I prefer to have PTP communication only over these two subnets. Any guidance appreciated. I am running ptpd version 2.1.0 (under debian wheezy)

• Wojciech Owczarek

Joe,

Full support for multiple NIC operation is something we're looking to implement in future releases. For your particular setup I would recommend either:

a) run two instances of ptpd on the server. This is the preferred option for multiple NICs so far; you may need to use the -L switch to ignore the lock file for the second instance.

a) install a switch between the three hosts - is the point to point connection a must or do you simply prefer to do it this way? Is it that the two slave hosts are not meant to communicate with each other? You could achieve that with either a managed switch supporting MAC access lists, or with IPtables. I don't know your environment and if it's a home test network, research or enterprise, and 100M/1G/10G but if a switch is an option and separation is a must, then even a cheap managed switch like Netgear will do for copper 1G. Better switches will support private VLANs where you can do host separation, nearly all managed switches will support MAC ACLs.

• Joe Dougherty

Joe Dougherty - 2013-09-18

Thank you Wojciech. The two instances seems to be working. The two slaves in a point-to-point is a reqmt for now. There may be a switch in a future configuration but not worrying on that for now - but will keep your VLAN config for separation handy. For now this is working well. Thanks for your time and advice.