Menu

Log offset from (but do not sync to) foreign PTP master?

Help
2013-11-21
2013-11-22
  • Matt Garman

Matt Garman - 2013-11-21

We have within our network a PTP master which is used to sync the time of all our servers.

We have a connection to another organization's network with which we do business. The other network has their own PTP infrastructure as well.

We do not want to sync to their clock. But we do want to record their PTP data so that we can see when their version of the the time is different from ours.

For example, we might be reviewing last week's transactions have have a discrepancy with one. We want to be able to contact the other organization and say, "Take a look at transaction number 1234. It happened at 5:13:24.1706 for us, but to you it would have been 5:13:23.9287."

Can I do this with the ptpd2, or would I need to hack on the code to break out what I need?

• Wojciech Owczarek

Matt,

Sure, you can do that with ptpd. You just have to launch a second instance, and disable clock control. It will behave like a normal slave, just that it won't touch the clock. So effectively it will be measuring that external clock against its own, synced with yours. In ptpd 2.3 the setting is clock:no_adjust and in 2.2.x it's the "-t" parameter. On 2.2.x you will have to disable lock files (run with -L) to run the second instance. This won't show you side by side timestamps but if will show you the difference between you and them - naturally, to some degree of uncertainty.

Last edit: Wojciech Owczarek 2013-11-22