Menu

PTPd interferes with network communication?

Help
2008-02-25
2012-11-23
  • Arjen van Rhijn

Arjen van Rhijn - 2008-02-25

I installed PTPd on two machines in a LAN, both running Fedora Core 6 kernel 2.6.20. When I start PTPd on both machines, the clocks get synchronized properly. However, all other communication to the machine that was selected master is problematic. I cannot ping the machine, and my own program running over TCP sockets experience very long delays. This only happens with the master, the slave works fine. If i run PTPd in unicast only (using the 1b4 version) it all works fine. Any ideas what the problem could be? I also tested using two machines on a different network and the same software configuration and the problem persists.

Many thanks in advance!

Arjen

• kendall

kendall - 2008-08-09

There could be a problem with multicast support. You can use Wireshark to catpure the network traffic. Normally, you should see PTP messages every two seconds from the master and less frequent messages from the slaves. It might be work trying a different network card if you have one handy. Looks like this post was a while ago, so my reply might be too late, but maybe it'll help someone else.