Menu

Standalone Version of projectM for Mac OS X Yosemite???

Help
WordWeaver
2015-05-30
2018-01-14
  • WordWeaver

WordWeaver - 2015-05-30

I listen to music using either VLC or VOX on an iMac running Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3).

Is there a standalone version -- not a plugin -- of ProjectM which will run on my iMac, and which will be available to VLC and/or VOX?

The Mac App Store only seems to offer an iOS version of ProjectM.

I have also read that there is an iTunes-compatible ProjejctM plugin as well. However, I never use iTunes.

So again, is there a standalone version of ProjectM for Mac OS X on a desktop machine?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

• David Lublin

David Lublin - 2016-04-20

Hey!

We just published this free standalone projectM app for Mac via an audio input: http://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/projectmilksyphon

It is designed for VJs to use via Syphon in other software but it can run on its own too.

Maybe that will do what you need?

• DL

Last edit: David Lublin 2016-04-20
    • Dave P.

Dave P. - 2016-04-24

OMG! Brilliant! Used in conjunction with Soundlower, this is perfect!

EDIT:

Soundflower isn't without issues. I found Sound Siphon to work much better for my purposes.

Last edit: Dave P. 2016-04-25
  • Tom Noll

Tom Noll - 2018-01-14

Hi all,

I tried using the standalone visualizer with Soundflower and it didn't work. I set my Mac's output audio source to Soundflower (actually a multi-output device, Soundflower and my bluetooth headphones). Anyway, in the ProjectM visualizer, the Soundflower audio source showed but when I selected the audio source, ProjectM wasn't picking it up. Any ideas?