Joe Emenaker - 2014-02-02

I've got Poptop set up on a Linux box to be a PPTP server. I have a number of client PC's, also running Linux, sitting behind home-gateway routers using NAT.

I can bring up PPTP connections from multiple PC's to the server, and they all work fine, as long as they're all coming from behind different routers (ie, the server sees them as having different source IP's).

However, if I try to bring up PPTP connections from two PC's behind the same router (so, they appear to the server as having the same source IP), initiating the second one causes the first one to freeze. Both connections will be unusable, and then they'll just get torn down by the server after about 2 minutes.

In other words, I can use "pon myserver" to start the first PPTP connection (which shows up in ifconfig as ppp0 on the server), and I can be using it just fine... and then, when I try to "pon myserver" from another PC sitting right next to the first, I usually get no "ppp1" in ifconfig on the server, and the first PPTP connection freezes.

They're using the same username/password, too, if that matters.

Is this a known issue? Is Poptop, perhaps, using only the source-IP to track the packets it's receiving and then getting confused when packets for two different connections come from the same IP?