Menu

Pause at end of AI turn?

2004-09-26
2013-03-05
  • Ingo Strauch

Ingo Strauch - 2004-09-26

I was just playing a game against AI opponents only. And I totally lost overview when the three of them had their turn one after another at light speed ;-)

That brought me to the idea that it would probably be a good idea if the game allowed a break after each turn of an AI player, i.e. the human player(s) need to click "ok" or something before the next player's turn.

Of course there might be a problem for more than one human player. Maybe somebody isn't paying attention between turns and everybody has to wait for him. One then could start a timer when the first player hits ok yielding a maximum time until the next turn can start.

Just a thought ;-)

• Roland Clobus

Roland Clobus - 2004-09-26

To pause the game after the AI turn, and to require all human players to press the continue button, sounds a little bit awkward to me.
      Luckily all actions (both by human and AI players) are logged in the log, in the lower right.
      Perhaps you need to scroll a lot, but all actions (even the very first from a long game) are there to read.

The default response time is one second per move of the AI. You can make them faster or slower by starting the AI manually with a commandline switch.

I've tested some games by running 8 AI's with a response time of only 1 millisecond. After some tenthousand turns, it helped me to find some weaknesses in the client. (Oh, and yes, for large numbers the dice are truly fair)

Regards,
      Roland Clobus

• Ingo Strauch

Ingo Strauch - 2004-09-26

Yeah, I agree that it is kind of awkward for more than one human player. I still like the idea for one human only.

And I know about the logging. Of course I read all the messages before my own turn. It was just too fast for me to "digest", too many information at once that could be divided into chunks ;-)

I might try the AI commandline switch though.