Menu

Pidgin + ? (Replacing MSN) -- Please Advise

2014-03-30
2014-03-30
  • Tom Hollister

Tom Hollister - 2014-03-30

I loved the old MSN and enjoyed MSN with Pidgin ... but that is no longer working?
    Tried google-talk (gmail) with Pidgin ... but don't like the offline messages going into a chat file that requires opening up online gmail. :(

Do any of the available sevices work with Pidgin and also deliver offline messages directly into Pidgin?

Jabber, ICQ, yahoo, IRC ?

I had terrible luck with Skype for text messages. Both online and offline messages were being dropped and made for some awfully frustrating conversations where too much time was spent asking along the line of ... "Did you get my 'xyz' response?"

Pidgin with MSN connectivety was excellent while it lasted.

Please point me towards what works. Thanks !!

• Tom Hollister

Tom Hollister - 2014-03-30

Hey folks ...

I had spent many hours searching for a good combination of service provider with Pidgin before posting in here for advice. I have since found a program that has more than what I was looking for and have only used it for a few hours ... yet I am very pleased with it. It is "Brosix" and the personal version is free. I would still like to explore any combination with Pidgin that really works ... as the benefits of being open source is very reassuring. Brosix uses encryption internally (at least claims to do so) and thus perhaps is even more secure for offline messaging than configurations that can only use OTR encryption for online messaging.

-- Tom