Ant - 2004-12-29

Hi all, newbie to SF as well as to Gaim, forgive me if I break netiquette in any way. I have a tendancy to be quite verbose - as a noob Im just trying to include all the information I can relevant to my query.

Have been fiddling with Gaim for a week now and am utterly addicted. I'm trying to use the IRC functionality -therein lies my problem. I have successfully set up two accounts and connected to two different IRC servers. That all works ok. My problem comes when I try to enter a channel.

Gaim crashes - the GUI just disappears with no error msg. If I have the debug window open it doesnt output anything useful before the whole lot disappears.

I get the same result when joining a room from the 'Get Room List' dialogue as well as manually entering a #channelname in the 'Join a Chat' dialogue. As soon as I click 'Join' the entire Gaim gui disappears and the app terminates.

I am running Gaim 1.1.1 on Windows XP. I have had same results with Gaim 1.1.0. I am not behind a proxy, this is reflected in the account settings. I have tried irc.freenode.net as well as another server with same results. When sitting in a channel with another irc client, this is what I see while trying to connect via Gaim:

[11:53] *** Gaimuser has joined #teampf
[11:53] *** ChanServ sets mode +v on Gaimuser[11:53] *** Gaimuser has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

I would appreciate ANY help. I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything similar, except that the rest of you are happily using irc via Gaim.

Thanks in advance.