Menu

PHP Server Side Menu isn't really quite so...

Antonio
2003-07-15
2003-07-15
  • Antonio

Antonio - 2003-07-15

After lengthy research I found this to be the most flexible and fully featured PHP menu tree system.  Great job !!

There is only one suggestion I have.
    I am implementing the menu tree on a website with more than a 1000 pages that are related in a hierarchy.
    I generated a text file for creating such a menu, but immediately realized that when the parser reads the entries, the whole thing is sent to the user even if most sub-branches and leaves are not displayed.  This is logical with a client side javascript version.  But it makes no sense with a PHP server side version, because in order to see those sub-branches, the script makes a trip to the server anyway.
    My suggestion is that the program should only send to the client browser the visible branches and leaves and perhaps one more level of each (to differentiate branches from leaves).
    Only then, would the script be "really" server-side.

I am now going to take a look at the code itself and try to implement this myself, but I am not sure I'll be successful.

• Antonio

Antonio - 2003-07-15

30 minutes after posting the previous message, I found my error.  I was generating both a javascript menu AND a server side menu (like in the demo) even though I was only printing the server side menu.

So, I found this application to be TRULY server side and myself to be TRULY silly.

Thanks a lot for such a great tool.