What is Repository & Source Lists ?

Help
fudo
2007-07-02
2013-05-30
  • fudo

fudo - 2007-07-02

Hi,

I use phpgedview for few weeks and I don't understand what exactly is Repository List & Source List ?
    What is the aim of these lists ?
    For example I have birthday act.. and I wonder to assign it to source list or to multimedia object list but PDF for example is not suported in multimedia object list (ok I could upload it as TIFF, BMP whatever image format)
    Thanks for help.

Fred, from France.
    Is there any localisazed forum ?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2007-07-02

Sources are the books, records, letters, etc. that the information in your file comes from.

Repositories are the places where the sources are stored.

As an example, a public library (which contains many reference books) would be a "repository", as would be a public records office or a church archive.  Each of the books in that library that you have consulted to obtain the facts in your database is a "source".  Of course, any one "source" can supply more than one fact.  You specify the page number within the source where each fact can be found.

If you take some of your information from letters, the places where the letters are stored are also "repositories".  This means that not only public buildings can be "repositories".

The idea is that any researcher should be able to verify any one of your items of information by consulting a page in a source that can be found in a repository.  Taken together, all of these things allow anyone to find the same information that you have found.

About "localised forums":  No, these do not exist.  The problem is that any question you may have in French could already have been answered in a Hungarian forum, and the answer would likely be of interest to Germans, English, etc.

If you are more comfortable communicating in a language other than English, go ahead and do so.  There are quite a few people who will be able to understand your question and answer.  Don't try to translate questions posed in French to English -- The result may be less understandable than the original French question.

• Irene Eng

Irene Eng - 2012-02-24

When I go to ..
    List
    Repositories
    There isn't any data showing up.
    ??
    Thanks
    Irene

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-02-24

Have you created any Repositories? If not, then none would appear.

• Irene Eng

Irene Eng - 2012-02-24

Thanks Steve.
    I just entered data without clicking +.  Now all is good.
    What do you use it for, if I may ask.
    Thanks.
    Irene

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2012-02-24

Irene
    Did you read this thread? Gerry's reply in #2 post is pretty explicit. It is the location in which the SOUR material is housed.
    Repository >>Synonyms: warehouse, archive, depository, depot, magazine, safe, stockroom, storage place, store room, storehouse, vault