Menu

Hebraized surname & more

2010-09-05
2013-05-30
  • Hagay Mandel

Hagay Mandel - 2010-09-05

I want my site to use both Hebrew & English names & surnames. (I know it's quite difficult to have a full bilingual site).
    Normally, the _HEB, Nick  tags are sufficient, but not in all cases:
    Nicks: I want nick names in both languages.
    Hebraized surname: In many cases old surnames get new Hebrew surnames (Hebraizing); in this case, I'm in a need for the original surname and the Hebraized one in both languages.
    I'm tweaking given names for the nick names, (ex: John 'Jo' as a given name), but I can't find the right solution for the surnames issue.
    Any ideas?

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2010-09-08

There's nothing to stop you from entering Hebrew and Latin nicknames in the same field. 

The other way of doing this might be to add the nickname as the last of the given names, and indicate that it's to be displayed inside quotes by adding an asterisk to that name. 

• Hagay Mandel

Hagay Mandel - 2010-09-09

As I've said, the nick name issue was tweaked the same way canajun2eh described.
    However, I don't have a solution to the Hebraized  family names, Example: Original family name is Goldstein, it has been Goldstein for generations. Nowadays, the name was Hebraized to Har-Zahav, and I want the present the generation that had Hebraized  its name,  with these 2 family names.

• knorway

knorway - 2010-09-09

I'm not an expert in any way with your issue so this is just an idea "thinking out of the box".

Would using a second "NAME" tag work to your liking?  I interpret your issue almost as an "AKA" and one use of a second "NAME" tag is AKA.  This use normally does not work with other software (PAF does not support two NAME tags).  You could also create a non-standard tag for this purpose, but I don't think names search or name lists would get updated with this information.

• Meliza Amity

Meliza Amity - 2010-11-03

I use one "1 NAME" and one "2 _HEB" and "2 _MARNM"s in either language.
    I fill "2 _AKA"s for other names in either language.
    I fill "2 NICK" with the Latin nick name and I fill "3 NICK" after the "2 _HEB" name (using raw editing).

The Hebrew nick name is shown for the main Hebrew name on the individual page and in lists and charts.

Meliza
    http://www.amitys.com/phpGedView/individual.php?pid=I2384