I am experiencing a problem with the gedview hit counter which may be a bug. My son and I are trying to troubleshoot it. I am not sure how long this has been a problem, but a red flag went up when I found some people who had very large numbers, but no reason for it. We have searched the logs (both for the website and phpgedview). There were some cases where someone with a session id that indicated yandex had been the source of their link was hitting some of the problem people. They would hit that person, and then they left. These same people, though, had larger hit numbers than our logs indicate they should. It has affected three people as time has gone on. One person indicated that they had had over 3 trillion hits! We set the counter back, blocked some hits, and got that one in line (although there had been occasional upping of the number for a while). Then we had a problem with a different person. I have watched three people in particular. One of them went overnight last night from 2312 hits to 23123. That pattern is suspicious. I checked the website logs, and found no reason for the counter to go up that way! My son did some looking at the counter file, and he found that that person had two listings in the counter log file... the first one did not have @ in front of the id number. The other one (which also happens to be the last number in the counter text file) has the 23123 number and is written correctly. This is what he saw in the original file he downloaded:
He took that out of the file, I don't know if it will reappear or not. That is something we will have to watch. We have been trying to determine if the problem is external or internal in the program; however, at this time, it looks like it is some kind of a bug in the program.
Log in to post a comment.