Menu

Text over Image Problem

Help
2019-04-23
2019-05-04
  • David Vincent-Jones

I created a 60 slide show that comprised mainly of images. Each image carried the photographer's name. Some slides had text only. Music was added and the output was in mp4 format buillt on my Manjaro Linux system. The build ran well on my system.
    When the output was played back on a Microsoft box the text overlays on the images was missing. The text only slides were correct.
    Any ideas as to the problem?

• John Anderson

John Anderson - 2019-05-03

If your text overlays were implimented as subtitles, you might need to copy the *.srt file along with the video file.

• David Vincent-Jones

Is there any other way to add text .. other than as subtitles on an image?

• John Anderson

I am running under Ubuntu, but combine the video and subtitles using ffmpeg like:

ffmpeg -i something.mp4 -vf subtitles=something.srt out.mp4
      Then the out.mp4 has the subtitles imbedded.

You can probably do something similar under Windows.

• David Vincent-Jones

Will a MS Windows system recognise a .srt file and use it alongside of the MP4 file?

• John Anderson

If you use the VLC media player, it will recognize the matching .srt file. Can't tell you about any of the Windows specific media players, because I can't get them to play my .mp4 videos.

• David Vincent-Jones

Yhank you that is useful

• jensgoe

jensgoe - 2019-05-04

I like the idea to include the subtitle in the video file. Thanks for the hint. I plan this as a new feature in a future release.