Menu

Where to find the reverse option?

Martin
2015-09-07
2020-01-11
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Martin

Martin - 2015-09-07

I cannot find (anymore) the option to reverse the channels, so to exchange the output of the left channel with the one of the right channel.

The audio channels of my Notebooks are reversed so when I use the other Notebook with another amplifyer I would have to adapt all of the settings of different music, movie players etc.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-07

I'm not sure what you're saying, but If you mean a reverse statement with E-APO in the Peace command window then this is it:
    Copy: L2=L
    Copy: R2=R
    Copy: L=R2
    Copy: R=L2

This reverse channels commands isn't in the example list, but I'll include it in the next release.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-07

Sorry for my bad expression and sorry for my bad understanding, I am not quite sure what "reverse statement with E-APO" means.

I meant the option to just exchange the channels. There is a right speaker and a left one. And I would like to hear what comes out of the left speaker on the right speaker and what comes out of the right speaker on the left speaker.

Right speaker---------------------------------------Left speaker becomes to
    Left speaker-----------------------------------------Right speaker

Sorry again.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-08

No problem. I understand what you need. You can entered the above copy commands in the Peace commands window and click the Save button to activate them. It should reverse the channels.

Although you have activate the commands they aren't saved to an equalizer configuration file (a preset) yet. For instance, by clicking the Save button (next to the configuration list) you can enter a name like 'Reversing channels'. Or put and save the commands in all the different equalizer configuration you're using, because you probably want to have a reverse every time.

I'll investigate a reverse channels option without the need to enter commands. I'll keep you posted here.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-08

Thank you very much, Peter,

Yes, that's right, I would need the reversed channels for the entire Notebook / all of the programs, media players (movies, music, system sounds, etc.), so in all of the presets, but may be not all the time, so when I use the USB Soundcard, which reverses the channels unfortunately, I just would like to do a click (or press a key combination) and then have the channels at the right place again.

Ah, now I see, very easy, just copy the commands above and paste them to the window opened by clicking the "Commands" button in the Peace GUI, that's it. Great.

<<<Although you have activate the commands they aren't saved to an equalizer configuration file (a preset) yet.
    Alright, so at the moment you have to add those commands to each of the presets, if you want to have it available always.

<<<<I'll investigate a reverse channels option without the need to enter commands. I'll keep you posted here.
    That is super, great, many thanks.

• Peter Verbeek

If you select your USB Soundcard as device in Peace (if that's possible) and save this along with a preset, you can do the reverse only on that device.

I see you're exactly getting what I'm saying :)

And I have good news: I've programmed a 'reverse channel'-checkbox into Peace and I think it's working nicely. Still some testing to do before I upload it.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-08

<<<If you select your USB Soundcard as device in Peace (if that's possible) and save this along with a preset, you can do the reverse only on that device.

Yes, it is, and yes, I can save the preset with reversed channels. So, (1) click / activate a preset from the list on the left side at the bottom, then (2) choose the USB Soundcard, then (3) enter those commands and then press "Save", if I understand it right: http://i.imgur.com/Xw7Ocha.png

<<<And I have good news: I've programmed a 'reverse channel'-checkbox into Peace and I think it's working nicely. Still some testing to do before I upload it.

This is unbelievable! Very fast done. Very great. Thank you very much!

Last edit: Martin 2015-09-08
  • Peter Verbeek

Entirely correct (one picture says it all!). And if Kodi is the software you're using for the USB soundcard then saving under this Kodi name is probably the best way to go.

You're welcome.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-08

Alright. Good.

By the way, is there a way how I could set the equalizer to get a good sound from Kodi? I tried some settings, but I am not able to improve the sound. Finding the settings e.g. for Aimp or foobar is quite easy, but I cannot find any better sound than the default one. I have to normal speakers.

The USB Soundcard I use for one of the Notebooks because using the headphone output somehow amplifies the noises of the internal hard disk.

Last edit: Martin 2015-09-08
  • Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-09

All I know is that people are using Room EQ Wizard to measure the frequency output response of the speakers and make filters (or using Peace) to mirror this frequency response to get an optimal sound. I just listen to music and play with the sliders to get a desent sound, but it's not the best way to go. When I was trying to get a better sound from my Bluetooth headphones, I notice that I had to listen carefully whilst using the sliders to get a better sound. It took some time.

I get it. The sound is produced by the soundcard with enough distance and/or shielding from the madly spinning harddisk.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-09

All I know is that people are using Room EQ Wizard to measure the frequency output response of the speakers and make filters (or using Peace) to mirror this frequency response to get an optimal sound.

Yes, I have seen that program, it looks very nice and that method looks like being somehow complicated.

I just listen to music and play with the sliders to get a desent sound, but it's not the best way to go. When I was trying to get a better sound from my Bluetooth headphones, I notice that I had to listen carefully whilst using the sliders to get a better sound. It took some time.

Yes, that is the way I used to do it and somehow it has been working until now. But whatever I set in "Peace" does not improve the sound. So actually I had hoped there was a trick or so. Alright, I just will keep on trying.

I get it. The sound is produced by the soundcard with enough distance and/or shielding from the madly spinning harddisk.

Yes, obviously it is like that. I do not have any idea why the noise of the hard disk is audible, respectively it will be caused by the poor quality of the Notebook.

Last edit: Martin 2015-09-09
  • Peter Verbeek

REW is complicated, maybe because it has a lot of features. On the other hand, I think the interface could be better.

Do you know if Equalizer APO is still installed and working on the device your speakers are on?

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-09

Yes, yes, E APO works / is still installed on both of my devices. Respectively I did not notice anything else. Why do you ask?

Last edit: Martin 2015-09-09
  • Peter Verbeek

I was probably under the false assumption that the sound wasn't changing at all when you're moving the sliders.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-09

Ah, I see, sorry, no, no, the sound is changing but it is me who is not able to change it the way it sounds (with Kodi) good, do not know why.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-10

Ah, the fine art of miscommunication ;)

After I've programmed the graph window in Peace I'm using it to make my filter more evenly distributed over the frequencies. It can give an improvement on the speakers, but ideally you have to know the frequencies graph of your speakers. So there's where REW comes in, I guess. I don't know others ways to get the sound right, because of my little knowledge on audio matters.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-10

Well, yes, the hard art of communication.

Yes, I understand, that exactly is what REW does obvioulsy, find the best sound.
    I do not have any idea of audio matters or anything else. Alright, so that just means for me keep on sliding the sliders and hope to accidentally get some better sound out of the cheap boxes.

By the way, Peace works really great.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-11

Yes, that's probably it, although I have one suggestion left: I once saw a Youtube video of a guy who was using a 31 sliders hardware equalizer to cancel out some specific frequencies which were oscilating in a big hall from microfoon to speakers (that annoying beeping sound that you get when putting the open microfoon near a speaker). The beeping disappeared completely. It made me aware that Youtube can have videos of people using equalizers for sound improvement. Maybe you can check it out.

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-11

Alright, a good idea, I will have a look at it.

Usually the sound I seem to like always is the same since ever, such a curve: http://i.imgur.com/nMQS44m.png. But that kind of curve does not work with Kodi for me. May be Kodi has different equilizing default settings or so already giving a good sound.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2015-09-11

I'm not familiar with Kodi, but it looks like you're right. Maybe Kodi has a default setting like the picture you're showing me.

Btw. The new Peace version with the reverse channels feature is online. This checkbox is situated near the + and - buttons left in the Peace window.

• Anton Van Tonder

I'm using 1.5.3.2 and can't see the reverse channels checkbox.

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-01-11

If you needed to reverse channels (left becomes right and vice versa) go to the Effects panel (the button right to the sliders below device list) and toggle the "Reverse channels" switch (left top switch).

• Anton Van Tonder

Found it, thank you!

• Peter Verbeek

Peter Verbeek - 2020-01-11

No problem :)

• Martin

Martin - 2015-09-11

Ah, super, I am very happy about that. Thank you very much, Peter.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)