Menu

Install problems with Mandrake 10.0

Mark Kahrs
2004-08-31
2004-09-04
  • Mark Kahrs

Mark Kahrs - 2004-08-31

I have installed Mandrake 10.0 on an ancient Compaq Presario Laptop (model 1030).

The PCMCIA ethernet doesn't even power up.

Doing a pcic_probe works and reports that it has a Cirrus logic bridge.

But, if I do a "modprobe yenta_socket" followed by "cardmgr", then it reports that it doesn't have sockets.

Doing an lsmod find that the pcmcia_core is OK with 2 links (ds and yenta), but that each of those has 0 links.  I suspect that is the problem, but what is the underlying cause?

And yes, I did exclude the relevant IRQs and ports (according to the linux laptop page).

And just for kicks, I tried doing a modprobe with the intel bridge (i82something) and that resulted in "no such device" or something like that.

Any ideas?

• David Hinds

David Hinds - 2004-09-02

Well... what does pcic_probe say, *exactly*?

It might say that you have a Cirrus CL-PD67xx ISA bridge, which uses the i82365 driver.

Or it might say that you have a Cirrus PD6832 CardBus bridge, which uses the yenta_socket driver.

But, I suspect that it says you have a PD6729 PCI bridge, which has no driver at all in recent kernels.

There is some recent discussion on the linux-pcmcia mailing list about a new driver for these bridges for 2.6 kernels.

-- Dave

• Mark Kahrs

Mark Kahrs - 2004-09-03

pcic_probe -m says "i82365"

But doing a modprobe "i82365" reports "no such device" inspite of the i82365.ko.gz file in the drivers/pcmcia directory.

pcic_probe reports
      PCI bridge probe: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 found, 2 sockets.

Why did it work in gentoo and not in Mandrake?
      And Why is this no longer supported, this is an old chip.

• David Hinds

David Hinds - 2004-09-04

It may have worked with gentoo if gentoo had an older kernel that used the pcmcia-cs driver modules.

Why is it no longer supported?  Well, when Linus adapted the pcmcia-cs drivers for the kernel, he didn't think support for these bridges was important, so he took it out.  And it wasn't trivial to add back.

But, as I said, you can find some recent discussion of a fix on the linux-pcmcia mailing list.

-- Dave