Menu

Yubikey, Uninstalling use with Password Safe or temporary disable during backup

Ken
2016-08-18
2020-11-24
  • Ken

Ken - 2016-08-18

I'm thinking of going to a Yubikey authentication but would like to understand how I remove its use should I decide I want to save an unprotected version of my vault. I see plenty of instructions on it initialization but nothing on how to remove. Does anyone have a link or simple instructions. Thanks

• MrMe

MrMe - 2016-08-19

It's fairly easy.

Make a copy of the database file you want to remove 2FA on and open the copy with your password and yubikey.

Leave your yubikey in the usb port because you'll use it again.

The procedure is to use Manage>'Change Safe Combination' on the menu to change the open safe password and don't use a yubikey for the new password section.

Just enter the current safe password and click the yubikey button next to the old password and touch your yubikey, then enter your new password twice but don't click on yubikey next to the new password since you want to turn off 2FA. The new password can be the same as your old password if you don't want to actually change it to something new.

• Ken

Ken - 2016-08-20

That does seem quite easy. Thank you for taking time to explain.

• Krishnamurthy Ganesan

What if the PC used with the yubi key dies? How can we login to disconnect that yubi key and associate a new one? If PC died, is the backup safe useless?

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2020-11-24

I realize I am a bit late. but in regards to your (Krishnamurthy) question... the YubiKey is not locked to any specific PC.

in other words... if you got a YubiKey associated with Password Safe database file and your PC completely dies you are still good assuming you still got access to the Password Safe database file (which everyone should take measures to backup that database file to prevent any chance of losing access to your data stored in the Password Safe database file. it's very unwise not to have a bare minimum of two different copies of it and at least one stored offline etc) as you can simply transfer a backup of it to another PC and proceed to use the YubiKey on it like usual and it should work.