Menu

partclone fails to process one of the partitions "/dev/sda8" - Fail with DISK I/O errors

2023-10-19
2023-10-22
  • Rajshekhar Lawani

When we are trying to upgrade a system OS from SLES11 -> SLES15 and trying to execute below command through script fails with disk IO ERROR:

We have partitions from partitions from sda1 to sda9 and we hit this ERROR while processing only "sda8".
    Just mention we also mount the ISO image on partition sda8 while re-imaging.

CMD:
    "zcat /srv/www/htdocs/mgmt-server-image/sda8.ext3.ptcl.gz | /usr/sbin/partclone.ext3 –r –o /dev/sda8"

Option 1: We tried SKIPPING partion sda8, re-imaging works smotly.

Option 2: We tried to run command using --rescue (-R) option the re-imaging went through smoothly.

Option 3: When we try partclone command only for sda8 manually then retry processing sda1 to sda9 through script, then also it went through smothly.

We are trying to debug why are we getting DISK IO error only on sda8 while processing.

Next step:
    we are planning to run partclone command with "-d 3" option to see what log details we get.

If anyone can give more insight details on partclone command then it would be very helpful.

LEt me know if you require any more detaisl from my end.

• Thomas

Thomas - 2023-10-22

Hi,

I have no idea for Just mention we also mount the ISO image on partition sda8 while re-imaging.

If your sda8 is mounted, that would make partclone fail.

Following your test result, all partitions clone successfully, so the problem may be with other utilities.

Check your script 'partclone-image', memory, and available space.