Menu

PostFix/SMTP-Auth via SASL+pam_mysql.so?

Help
2004-04-29
2013-04-17
  • Darryl Clarke

Darryl Clarke - 2004-04-29

Hi!

I've got Postfix's smtp-auth working here via SASL which in turn is configured to use PAM, but I appear to be having trouble.

I know the module is configured correctly, because it's querying mySQL - but the authentication is failing every time.

The password is stored crypt()'ed, so I set crypt=1 in the config.

After the query I see this in my sasl log;
    DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate failed: User not known to the underlying authentication module

But, the query that I see in mysql.log
    SELECT password FROM mailbox WHERE username='test@test.com' AND (active=1)
    works perfectly fine using the login and password from the command line returning the crypted password string...

I also tried plain text (crypt=0) and setting the password field to a plain text string, and that failed as well.

I'm using Debian (testing)
    Source: pam-mysql
    Version: 0.5.0-5

any ideas?

• Zal

Zal - 2008-08-06

Hi,

4 years later, I have exactly this same problem : the SQL request is OK, the crypt parameter is 0 to test, the crypt column contains a clear password, but it fails with "
      DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate failed: User not known to the underlying authentication module ".

I checked with pamtester to be sure that the problem is really at the pam level.

This is my conf :

/etc/pam.d/smtp
      @include common-auth
      @include common-account
      auth       required     pam_mysql.so user=xxxxxxx passwd=xxxxxxxxx host=xxxxxxxxxx db=postfix table=postfix_users usercolumn=login passwdcolumn=crypt crypt=0 verbose=1 try_first_pass sqllog=1
      #account    sufficient   pam_mysql.so user=xxxxxxx passwd=xxxxxxxxx host=xxxxxxxxx db=postfix table=postfix_users usercolumn=login passwdcolumn=crypt crypt=0 verbose=1 try_first_pass sqllog=1

I activated the SQL log on the SQL server, and I see the request, which is good (I tested it manually)

This is the content of the logs :
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: (pam_unix) check pass; user unknown
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: (pam_unix) authentication failure; logname=chris uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - option verbose is set to "1"
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - option sqllog is set to "1"
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_close_db() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_sm_authenticate() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_open_db() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_open_db() returning 0.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_check_passwd() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_format_string() called
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_quick_escape() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 last message repeated 3 times
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - SELECT crypt FROM postfix_users WHERE login = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_sql_log() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - sqllog set but logtable not set
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_check_passwd() returning 0.
      Aug  6 16:04:05 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_sm_authenticate() returning 0.
      Aug  6 16:04:07 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_release_ctx() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:07 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_destroy_ctx() called.
      Aug  6 16:04:07 mx3 pamtester: pam_mysql - pam_mysql_close_db() called.

Any idea ?

Thank you !

Zal

• Zal

Zal - 2008-08-06

I forgot to say I'm using etch with the standard binaries :

mx3:/home/chris/pamtester-0.1.2# dpkg -l |grep pam
      ii  libpam-modules            0.79-5                               Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM
      ii  libpam-mysql              0.6.2-1                              PAM module allowing authentication from a My
      ii  libpam-runtime            0.79-5                               Runtime support for the PAM library
      ii  libpam0g                  0.79-5                               Pluggable Authentication Modules library
      ii  libpam0g-dev              0.79-5                               Development files for PAM