#636 autodiscovery nmap output parsed incorrectly


While trying an autodiscovery of hosts, I was never able to get a single result.
I have checked the autodiscovery scripts and found out that this string at line 59 of the scripts/discovery/osm_discovery_ip.sh

hosts=`nmap -sP ${OSM_IP_RANGE} | grep -i "is up" | cut -d ' ' -f 2`

is parsing the output of nmap in the wrong way.
nmap 4.53 (currently installed in my Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server) has a slightly different output:

Host appears to be up. <-- instead of "is up".

However, I have checked as well on my latest 10.10 laptop and indeed, with version 5.21 of nmap
the output text has been changed:

Nmap scan report for
Host is up (0.00070s latency). <-- here it is correct.

While I understand clearly that 8.04 is phased out now, it would be anyways nice to have a
version requirement published somewhere on the website/readme of the installation files
(or even better, check for the right version of nmap in the installation procedure!)

Anyhow, since I can't right now reinstall the monitoring server I use with the latest Ubuntu,
I have made a small change to the bash script in charge of discovery and everything is
working fine :)


  • Manuel Fraga

    Manuel Fraga - 2011-02-25

    Thank you very much for the contribution.
    This is the first contribution to Osmius code by the community.
    We will make changes to fix this bug.

  • Manuel Fraga

    Manuel Fraga - 2011-02-25

    This bug has been included in the current Sprint.
    Expect it to be solved within 3-4 weeks.

  • Manuel Fraga

    Manuel Fraga - 2011-02-25
    • priority: 5 --> 6
    • assigned_to: jpancorbo --> manuelfraga
    • status: open --> open-accepted
  • Manuel Fraga

    Manuel Fraga - 2011-02-25

    ok, done

  • Manuel Fraga

    Manuel Fraga - 2011-02-25
    • status: open-accepted --> closed-fixed

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

No, thanks