Dan Coulter - 2005-05-05

Well, I'm sure that by now everyone's familiar with the concept of "tagging." It's everywhere.  Just log into gmail or visit Flickr or Del.icio.us.  This is a very cool and powerful method for organizing data.  I think this would be perfect for the support tickets in OpenIT.  I don't know if it should replace the support types or if it should be in addition to them.  Obviously, this could make for very powerful and easy filtering.  What do you guys think?

The Knowledgebase articles currently have "keywords".  This is pretty much the same idea.  It's just another way to describe the data.

Here's an example:  A computer comes into your helpdesk and they say that windows is crashing, so you mark it as Windows Troubleshooting.  You realize quickly that it's loaded down with spyware.  You change the support type to "spyware".  Then you figure out that it has viruses eating up the hard drive, so you change the type to "viruses".  Eventually, you have to reinstall windows, so you change it to "Windows Repair".  If, later on, you want to find out how many support tickets had to do with viruses, this won't be included.  Same thing with spyware.  With tags, you'll have all of the descriptors saved and you can mix and match (all malware categories, for example).