Menu

CAD file store location and data_dir

2016-03-31
2016-04-07
  • Rich Thomas

Rich Thomas - 2016-03-31

Where are the models actually stored when checked in? How about thumbnails? I'm trying to determine what is crucial from a backup perspective.

Is is possible to put data_dir on another server? All attempts I've made in Windows result in a failure of the odoo-server-8.0.8.0 in starting both via mapped drive and url.

Thanks,

Rich

• Matteo Boscolo

Matteo Boscolo - 2016-04-01

Hi Rich,
      Each time you save a file with the integration, the file will be copied in the file-store location, if set in the odoo config file, or in the database if not set.
      For better understanding of how filestore works on odoo give a look at :
      https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/tag/filestore-190/questions

the thumbnail, and the pdf are stored in the database in a binary field.
      so a postges back-up will save your data.

I suggest you to work with Linux (Debian) that is the most stable linux distro for server purpose, and the performance are better then windows, even supporting multi process that in windows dose not work.

I'm at your disposal for any further question
      Matteo

• Rich Thomas

Rich Thomas - 2016-04-01

Thanks for the reply. So setting the data_dir sets the filestore. If I continue with Windows 2008 Server do you have any idea what restrictions I'll have with where the data_dir can be located? Any oddities with the url format? Forward slashes, no spaces in the name, case sensitive etc?

Thanks,

Rich

• Matteo Boscolo

Matteo Boscolo - 2016-04-07

Yes, in the configuration files you need to set the parameter,
    document_path = yourserverpath
    this will drive your file in the correct path.

for the url, some best practics are always welcome :))
    no space
    no strange caracter ..

in the file store directory the file will be replacede with an odoo internal name, and the system hiself gives you a name for manage it.

best regards,
    Matteo