Menu

eclipse, zend debugger and reset connections

Developers
2016-03-02
2016-03-04
  • Merlin Silk

Merlin Silk - 2016-03-02

I just dug myself into using ecllipse and the zend debugger to start developing for OpenEMR for real. All works fine on little tutorial php files but when I attack OEMR with this setup I get 'Connection was reset while the page was loading' on all frames in OEMR. My setup is a windows 8 machine with Eclipse and an ubuntu box on the same network. Anybody else ever hat that problem and if so, how was that solved?
    Thanks, Merlin

• Tony McCormick

Tony McCormick - 2016-03-02

Make sure your debugging port (typically 9000) is not in use by something else.

• Merlin Silk

Merlin Silk - 2016-03-03

Thanks Tony!
    that 9000 sounded familiar at first, but then I checked and it looks like my installation used port 10137 out of the box - does that sound familiar? Also, if things work with a little test php file where I can step through statement by statement, that would indicate that the connection to the zend debug on the linux server was OK, right?
    But you are saying that there is no principle problem debugging OpenEMR with Eclipse and zend debug? I had the thought that maybe using the depriciated frames in OEMR might cause a problem?

• Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2016-03-03

The server side doesn't know/care that the request are coming from frames.
      Netbeans is my preferred tool so can't help you with specifics of configuring xdebug for Eclipse.

• Kevin Yeh

Kevin Yeh - 2016-03-03

Realizing that your are talking about the ZEND debugger... Port 9000 is typically for XDEBUG, which is what I use and Tony too probably. (He's not an Eclipse user, and my understanding is zend debug only works with Eclipse...)

• Tony McCormick

Tony McCormick - 2016-03-04

Several of my team used eclipse successfully until we all switched to PHPStorm (which is better by a very very long shot) I was using Netbeans (and loved it). XDEBUG is the tool I am using for debugging.

• Merlin Silk

Merlin Silk - 2016-03-04

Tony, now I understand the port 9000 - that is the default port of xDebug. I actually had started to look into netbeans with xDebug and after installing xDebug managed to debug - even with Eclipse. Now I have to check out that new kid in town - PHPStorm :-)
    Thanks for the help.