Menu

Help me understand how OpenDMTP works.

Help
ghardin
2011-09-10
2013-01-09
  • ghardin

ghardin - 2011-09-10

I am not a programmer and most of what I read in the documents and here is very confusing.  I do not understand what a "protocol" is and how to use it.
    Can someone explain HOW this works?  I have this basic scenario:
    A GPS tracking device (Telit 862) that we can currently send and receive AT commands to get GPS data via SMS.
    We can capture that data into a MySQL database.  And have been able to plot the data on Google Maps, but this is just not effective and creating some kind of server is beyond our abilities.  We would like to use OpenGTS to display the data, So we have these questions (and probably more) that we hope someone will take the time to explain in some very basic terms:

What is OpenDMTP and how do we get the data from the Telit using OpenDMTP into OpenGTS?
    Do we have to use some other kind of programming in the Telit?
    Is OpenDMTP a program?  What does it do and how does it do it? 
    How do we make it work with the Telit

• yassyboy

yassyboy - 2011-09-13

Hi Ghardin,

1 . in a layman terms "protocol" can be referred to some sort of Language, eg a Zulu speaking guy can only understands Zulu words or Only English Speaking Guy can only Understand English language. "English Language" will be the protocol between the two english speakers.

2. OpenDMTP is a small piece of software developed by Mr.Martin. It does 2 or 3 Basic and main tasks. 1 - Pulls GPS Locatoins from internal or bluetooth GPS devices, 2 - Establishes GPRS,Internet connection and transmits the Events & GPS locations to the destination Server (OpenGTS or OpenDMTP Server Installed with MySQL).

3. Telit 862 - After googling looks like its a GPS & GSM Modem not a Windows/Symbian or Java based device.

4 . If you like to use this device for your GPS Tracking you need to download OPenGTS and use the DCS server template to create a Listner. Search OpenGTS forum for more informaiton.

5. For Telit to send data to OpenGTS you need to ask the vendor the format it supports for GPS locations. It could be the standard GPS messages or language.

Hope answers your question.

yb

• ghardin

ghardin - 2011-09-14

yb,
    Thanks for the reply.  It is a start, but I am still not understanding.  Yes the Telit is a GPRS that we can use to get GPS data with and then send that information via SMS to our server and it uses standard NMEA data construction.  We have it programmed with Python to perform those operations and receive commands via SMS,  I guess what I am asking is,
    Do we have to remove our program and load some OpenDMTP program  on that so it can communicate with OPEN GTS?
    How does it send the information?  Our device is a stand alone device that can be located anywhere on the planet and be able to send it's location to a server so you can see where it is by logging in from anywhere via the internet.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that a newbie like me can understand what to do?  I have a pretty good idea of how to use OpenGTS after it gets the data, and I have used my Android phone and an app call GPS2OpenGTS and have been able to send data from the phone and track it.
    I just don't how to make the phone (which is what the Telit really is) send the data.  I have used the DSC / gtsdmtp server to listen for the data from the android, but I only followed the directions in the docs and don't really understand what it is doing and why.
    Where can I learn about what all of these things are and what they mean and HOW to step things up?
    Can we use OpentDMTP with our Python program?

• yassyboy

yassyboy - 2011-09-14

Hi Ghardin,

If you can tell us what Operating System is running on the device I might be able to point you in right direction?

KR..YB

• ghardin

ghardin - 2011-09-14

The Telit embedded hardware modules are a generic device with GSM and GPS capabilities that are suitable for a wide range of applications including vehicle tracking.  By default they are supplied without any software, similar to a computer without an operating system/  We are using it with a custom system written in Python.