(sent before to the omnibook-devel list, but was too big and there seems to be no moderator)
this is a report of my experiences with the omnibook module on a Toshiba Satellite Pro U400 laptop. I use Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24) on this machine; actually, all integrated hardware (beside the usual winmodem) works out of the box, except for the Bluetooth module which is connected internally via USB but somehow not attached. Until I use the omnibook module ;-)
I use the experimental branch of the omnibook sources from SVN. As this laptop model is not directly recognized, it is necessary to force a certain embedded controller type. I tried the most recent ones, and will report the results:
1) modprobe omnibook ectype=12
omnibook: Enabled features: blank bluetooth display fan dmi version lcd temperature wifi throttling.
Hmm, many features enabled, but most of them don't work.
- blank: reports blanking hook enabled/disabled, but not tested
- bluetooth: WORKS. A new USB device is immediately detected and lsusb reports it as "Toshiba Corp. Integrated Bluetooth HCI". Kbluetooth also immediately springs to life and reports a "Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR" adapter. Communication with a cellphone was fine.
- display: reading produces "ACPI method execution failed"
- fan: same as display
- lcd: can be read and set with sensible values, but has no effect or correspondence to actual LCD brightness. However, LCD brightness control works out of the box anyway, though I don't know what mechanism Kubuntu uses to do so - pressing Fn+F6/F7 simply works.
- temperature: reports "204 C" - no comment
- wifi: reports "adapter absent", which is wrong. Anyway, it is not needed as adapter + kill-switch work anyway.
- throttling: same as display
2) modprobe omnibook ectype=13
Enabled features: display dmi version.
- display: reports "External VGA: display absent", which is correct. I didn't test with a connected VGA display, though.
3) modprobe omnibook ectype=14
Enabled features: bluetooth dmi version lcd
- bluetooth: same success as with ectype=12
- lcd: same failure as with ectype=12
4) modprobe omnibook ectype=15
Enabled features: blank display hotkeys dmi version lcd temperature
- blank: see ectype=12
- display: see ectype=13
- hotkeys: reports "Onetouch buttons enabled", and you can disable and re-enable them. However, my model doesn't have any "onetouch buttons" that I'm aware of...
- lcd: see ectype=12
- temperature: see ectype=12
Personally, I will use ectype=14 as it enables bluetooth and doesn't enable most of the non-working features.
# cat /proc/omnibook/dmi
BIOS Vendor: TOSHIBA
BIOS Version: V1.80
BIOS Release: 03/13/2008
System Vendor: TOSHIBA
Product Name: Satellite Pro U400
Serial Number: <censored>
Board Vendor: TOSHIBA
Board Name: Not Applicable
# cat /proc/omnibook/version
DSDT of machine: attached
EC dump: seems I can only attach one file here, maybe I can add it after submission of this report...
Log in to post a comment.