Menu

Porting to the ARM 9

Help
2007-10-03
2013-04-17
  • Savio Coelho

Savio Coelho - 2007-10-03

Hi, I need to port the rendering library onto an ARM 9 platform. Could someone give me an idea as to how i can begin doing that. This would be my first porting task ever so if somebody would point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

I am using the ARM Codewarrior IDE with the armcc compiler to build the code

Help!!!

• Hans-Martin Will

What OS?

• Savio Coelho

Savio Coelho - 2007-10-04

Well Im trying to run it on a development board that has no OS on it at the moment. Is it possible to have it run directly on the ARM core and if so how??

• Hans-Martin Will

Probably. You'd want to start by getting it compiled for your platform. Once that's done, you will need to adapt Surface.h, Surface.cpp and egl.cpp to match your platform (that's why those are in platform specific subfolders). Similarly, in FunctionCache there are some OS dependecies to clear the instruction cache. Hopefully, at least one of the supported color buffer formats matches your system.

I'm not sure if there is anythings else about the ARM9 instruction set you want to incorporate.

- HM

• Savio Coelho

Savio Coelho - 2007-10-05

Hi Hans, Im having some trouble building the library. The ARM compiler does not support namespaces and templates. Is there a way to work around this.
      Here are some of the errors I got

Warning: C2204W: C++ keyword used as identifier: 'namespace' arithmetic.h line 59
      Error: C2225W: declaration lacks type/storage-class (assuming 'int'): 'namespace' arithmetic.h line 59

These and a string of other related errors.

• Hans-Martin Will

I don't think the arithmetic header file is actually used anywhere. Other than that, one of the users of Vincent supposedly is using the library together with the ARM compiler toolchain (I don't have it myself), and I merged whatever modifications to the code they needed to make back into the codebase that's in SVN.

- HM

• Savio Coelho

Savio Coelho - 2007-10-05

Hi Hans, Im having trouble with every single file where you have declared a namespace and not just arithmetic.h. I am using the ARM toolchain provided with ARM's RVDS 2.1. You mentioned that you know someone who was able to compile the code using the ARM toolchain. Would you happen to know what version of the compiler he is using. I ask because RVDS 3.1 does support C++ code. However I need to be able to provide concrete results to my boss before I can ask him to obtain the license from ARM. I would like to get in touch with this person to talk about this. Could you provide me his contact email or i can give him mine.

• Hans-Martin Will

Unfortunately I cannot share a contact with you.

A lot of changes have been merged back, but it is possible that a few more changes are necessary. For starters, I would put #ifdef/#endif conditionals around everything related to namespaces, and then check what's left. And, as mentioned before, it is probably easier to start with a check-out from SVN rather than the file download.

Good luck!

- HM

• Hans-Martin Will

PS: Also, look here: https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=24615&group_id=87506

Since that article was written, additional framebuffer formats have been added to the library, so RGBA4444 should now longer be a problem.

- HM