Menu

documentation of the format of disk images

bbp
2009-07-19
2019-01-10
  • bbp

bbp - 2009-07-19

Hi,

is there any documentation of the format of the disk images created by ODIN?

I installed this very good software to backup my dad's system disk, and, as I am not familiar with Windows, it looks quite complicated to me to make a Windows live CD, especially as I don't have the installation CD (the computer came pre-installed).

As plenty of linux live cds or usb keys are available around, I'd like to make a linux utility that would be able to restore the system from the image. I assume images made without compression that include even the unused sectors are trivial to restore with dd, but I think it shouldn't be hard to make a utility able to restore any image, as long as I know how to interpret those images.

• JensH

JensH - 2009-07-20

There is currently no technical documentation of the file format available, but the source code is quite well documented and might help you. It consists of a fixed header block, including to offsets of some parts with variable length (comment, bitmap of used cluster, content itself). The bitmap of used cluster might be the trickiest part as it is compressed with a run length encoding scheme. Hope that helps a bit.

• Warday A'kor

Warday A'kor - 2019-01-10

Hi,

some image utils like ImDisk or OSFMount provide a workaround for non-raw IMG formats by specifying the image file offset upon mounting. Now it's possible to view an image in an hex editor where the offset could be found. Unfortunatelly I have no idea what to look at. Could you please extend the ODIN docs or someone write a guide about how to determine at which offset the variable header of an ODIN image ends and the raw image starts?

Thanks.

Update: Created feature request #8

Last edit: Warday A'kor 2019-01-10